Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,974   Posts: 1,523,628   Online: 1076

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by onepuff View Post
    Your Olympus has very good telephoto lenses available but if you want to try a rangefinder camera with a telephoto lens relatively cheaply then a Werra may be the answer. The Werra III, V or Werramatic have interchangeable Carl Zeiss lenses including a 100mm f4 Cardinar. If you are interested, here is a link to some info http://cameras.alfredklomp.com/werramatic/.
    I briefly (well, a couple of months) tired out a Werra kit, but was not at all impressed by the Cardinar.
    YMMV (or your sample may vary as well...)
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The problem with the M3 is you are limited with your selection of wide angle lenses, if I were you then I would go for a M2 which in my experience is as good as it gets, and a lot less money than an MP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    First you must decide if you need interchangeable lenses in your RF camera. If you don't here are some great cameras to consider:

Olympus RD
    OLympus SP
    Canon Canonet GIII QL17
    Yashica 35 Electro CC
    Yashica 35 Electro GTN

All have great lenses.

In terms of interchangeable lens 35mm RF there lots of choices. I use Leica M3, M4-P, IIIf, and IF. I also use a Contax IIa and Nikon SP.

Conside a Canon P or the Voightlander R3/R4 cameras.

Good luck!
    Tony
    Newnan, GA

Cambo 23SF, Hasselblad, Mamiya M645, Rolleiflex 2.8C
    Rollei 4x4 Grey
    Leica M4-P M3 IIIf RD Contax IIa Nikon SP
    Olympus OM-1 OM-2

http://www.oresteen.com/ROLLEI4X4.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rol_Lei Nut View Post
    I briefly (well, a couple of months) tired out a Werra kit, but was not at all impressed by the Cardinar.
    YMMV (or your sample may vary as well...)
    This fellow on RFF did some testing of Werra lenses, and agrees with you--Cardinar the least sharp, Flektogon the best.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...7&postcount=20

I have a WerraMatic and all three lenses. The Flektogon and Tessar are in great shape. The Cardinar, unfortunately, is full of fungus--which appears to be a common problem with this lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Towermax View Post
    This fellow on RFF did some testing of Werra lenses, and agrees with you--Cardinar the least sharp, Flektogon the best.
    There are other problems with using the Cardinar on the Werra, apart from the inherent lens quality itself:
    The rangefinder base is quite small.
    The mechanical coupling between the lens and the rangefinder is very complex. It can be fine-adjusted, but mine also changed slightly each time I mounted the lens.
    The behind-the-lens leaf shutter has an extremely narrow throat (much narrower than, say, similar technologied Retina Reflex or Bessamatic cameras). This means that the rear lens element must be very small and conditions the entire design.

Even the 35mm Flektogon on the Werra gave noticeably worse results than the "same" lens on an Exakta.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    35mm
    M3/M6 have 90mm framelines. If you are not acquainted with rangefinders you will realize that the 90mm frameline is much smaller on the rangefinders than slrs. If you are looking at predominately using a 90mm frameline then the costly 0.85 viewfinder of the M6 & M6ttl will be to your best advantage.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    That´s easy:Leica MP...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    May I suggest a Retina IIIS

http://www.cameraquest.com/ret3s.htm

A decent kit - camera and lenses probably goes for €100-€200 depending how lucky you are and another €120 is enough to send it to Chris Sherlock in NZ for a complete CLA and have the string replaced.

Bit quirky, bit heavy, but superb lenses, although I agree 135mm is too long for easy use on a rangefinder.

The leaf shutter is near silent, and I just love the quality feel.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you really want to know the best one (as in best made)? Are you going to go out and buy it just because you hear it is the best?

If so, go buy a new Leica MP. Be sure to get a lens or two, which will cost you just as much. $10,000 later, you'd better start making a good living with that camera straight away, or you (and/or your loved ones) are going to start kicking yourself!

If you want to get the best bang for the buck, or simply a nice quality rangefinder without getting into crazy new Leica territory, there are endless options, many of which are really good quality and affordable ones. You can find a lot of discussions on this topic in the APUG archives.

My suggestion is the same for anyone thinking about getting a rangefinder. First, buy a cheap one, in the sub-$100 range. Try using a rangefinder. If you are like most people, you won't like it, it won't be suited to most of the photography you do, and you will take worse pictures with it because it is harder to use. (SLRs took over for a reason.) Then you say "yuck," and resell the camera. No big loss. If you love it, and find that you could really use one for the work you do, then you have only spent $100 to gain this priceless knowledge, which you can probably get back by reselling the camera once you buy a better-quality rangefinder.

Good "exploration" cameras are Yashica Electro 35's, Canonets, Minoltas, etc. They are inexpensive, they will provide the "feel" of what using a rangefinder is like, and some of them have very good lenses too.

If you are certain that a rangefinder will be a useful camera to you because you have already used one, then in the $1,000 to $1,500 camera+lens area I would get a used Leica M3 or M2. In the under-$1,000 camera+lens area, I'd get a Voigtländer Bessa (R model if you want thread mount, anything R2 or later if you want bayonet mount). Those are the best all around tools for the dollar spent in the rangefinder world, IMHO.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 04-24-2011 at 02:54 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by narsuitus View Post
    “Best mechanical 35mm analog Range Finder camera “
    “Please recommend any camera that takes 80mm or above lenses.”

Leica MP with 90mm f/2 Summicron

I have owned 4 MPs and none of them were as well built or had as useful a VF set up as the M2/3/4. For the OP's stated desire to shoot longer FLs, I'd recommend the highest magnification VF available for the most precise focusing. save some money and get the very best leica M made, the M3 with its ,91x VF....works well with 90s, 135s etc.
    "A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within." W. Durant

flickr

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin