Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,012   Posts: 1,524,700   Online: 822

Shooter
    35mm

Vintage camera appraisal help (Contax Series I & II plus other non-rangefinder)

I'm interested in selling some or all of my grandfather's vintage cameras (partial list below). I've just returned from the Photographic Historical Society of New England's Show/Sale and while I'm sure I could have sold much of what I brought, I don't have a clear idea of the equipment's realistic value and didn't want to sell anything to inexpensively.

Any suggestions on how to find someone who can give me valid appraisals on this equipment? I'm in New England near Concord NH, so Boston is a pretty easy drive for me.

Oh, I've also cross-posted this in the medium format area.

Anyway, thanks for the help,

Bill Potter
    Webster NH

Here's a partial list of the gear:

Kodak Premo #9 5X7 large format (no lens)

Graflex Series C Series:149776 w/lens & original case

Crown Graphic Serial # 801908 w/Optar F/4.7 135 mm lens

Speed Graphic Serial # 751415 w/Optar F/4.7 135 mm lens

Speed Graphic Serial #752876 w/Optar F/4.7 135 mm lens w/120 roll film back

Rolleflex Serial #1251232 w/lens

Contax Series 1 Serial # AV24770 w/Tessar 1:2.8 50mm lens w/case

Contax Series Serial # F22145 w/film w/Sonnar 1:1.5 50mm lens

Contax lens:
    Planar 1:3.5 35mm lens
    Sonnar 1:1.5 50mm lens
    Sonnar 1:2 85mm lens
    Tessar 1:3.5 50mm lens

Korona Large Format

Tele-Xenar F5.5 36cm lens

Graflex flash unit for Graphics

Other less-vintage

Peerflekta II w/leather case

Argus w/leather case

Kodak Retina w/ 1/2 leather case

Baby Blitz bulb flash unit (w/original box and instructions)

Minolta Hi-Matic 7s w/ 1/2 leather case

Nikon FM Serial # 3140301 w/ Nikkor 50mm 1:2 lens

Shooter
    35mm
    Value is generally determined by the buyer. Your items are worth whatever someone is willing to pay and that amount varies. I would talk to an appraiser or use the seller's tools on eBay. I would also strongly discourage posting valuation queries to online forums that fund themselves at least partly from their marketplace/classified listings. Doing so is a common ploy used by people who don't want to go through normal forum channels.

Steve

(Only three posts and one is a valuation query???)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you search in the New England section, you'll find several posts related to PHISNE, which is a twice yearly (I think) swap meet type event where folks buy and sell antique camera gear. You might find a dealer there who can help you out. You might plan to attend the next one of those, though it looks like it just happened this past weekend. Please note, however, that should you want to sell this equipment here in the classifieds, you'll have to subscribe to APUG, and post your ad in the classifieds section.

http://phsne.org/

Shooter
    35mm
    Sorry if I'm mis-using the forum. I'm new to all this and don't intend to abuse the system, but it seemed a reasonable enough query. I'd hoped to make it clear in my original post that I'm trying to find an appraiser for the gear.

Bill

Shooter
    35mm
    Suzanne,

Thanks for the suggestion about PHSNE. I was at the show this past weekend but didn't know enough about the gear to accept any offers yet. Plus, I'd rather find enthusiasts directly who might be interested rather than selling to a dealer.

Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Potter View Post
    Contax Series 1 Serial # AV24770 w/Tessar 1:2.8 50mm lens w/case

Contax Series Serial # F22145 w/film w/Sonnar 1:1.5 50mm lens

Contax lens:
    Planar 1:3.5 35mm lens
    Sonnar 1:1.5 50mm lens
    Sonnar 1:2 85mm lens
    Tessar 1:3.5 50mm lens
    Speaking as a current Contax Addict, I would venture to say a Contax 1 is potentially valuable. Especially if it's working.

The Plannar 1:3.5 35mm and the Sonnar 1:2 85mm lenses are definitely valuable: the former being rare and the latter being highly sought after (and a fantastic performer.)
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    35mm RF
    To be petty, I get way too many, "How much is my stuff worth?" inquiries. Then after you tell them in a detailed note, you never hear from them again -- not even an acknowledgment that they've received the e-mail.

Now, to be rather abrupt, I would say that this forum is not a pricing service.

Your best bet on value is to log on to eBay, type in the camera name and look for completed listings. That will give you a good idea of "what your stuff is worth."

Best of luck. Sorry if I was grumpy.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Now to add quickly about your items. It's all about condition and demand. There is no such thing as a "mint" camera unless it was never used or if it is in fact a camera-shaped breath mint. Keep that in mind.

My comments:

DON'T KNOW -- Kodak Premo #9 5X7 large format (no lens)

DON'T KNOW -- Graflex Series C Series:149776 w/lens & original case

DON'T KNOW -- Crown Graphic Serial # 801908 w/Optar F/4.7 135 mm lens

DON'T KNOW -- Speed Graphic Serial # 751415 w/Optar F/4.7 135 mm lens

DON'T KNOW -- Speed Graphic Serial #752876 w/Optar F/4.7 135 mm lens w/120 roll film back

NOT ENOUGH INFORMATION -- Rolleflex Serial #1251232 w/lens

$250-$450 -- Contax Series 1 Serial # AV24770 w/Tessar 1:2.8 50mm lens w/case

$200-$400 -- Contax Series Serial # F22145 w/film w/Sonnar 1:1.5 50mm lens

Contax lens:

$400 -- Planar 1:3.5 35mm lens

$200 -- Sonnar 1:1.5 50mm lens

$400 -- Sonnar 1:2 85mm lens

$250 -- Tessar 1:3.5 50mm lens

DON'T KNOW -- Korona Large Format

DON'T KNOW -- Tele-Xenar F5.5 36cm lens

$10 -- Graflex flash unit for Graphics

Other less-vintage

$25 -- Peerflekta II w/leather case

$10 -- Argus w/leather case

NOT ENOUGH INFORMATION -- Kodak Retina w/ 1/2 leather case

$5 -- Baby Blitz bulb flash unit (w/original box and instructions)

$35-$50 -- Minolta Hi-Matic 7s w/ 1/2 leather case

$100-$200 -- Nikon FM Serial # 3140301 w/ Nikkor 50mm 1:2 lens

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the info. I hope it wasn't sounding like I wanted the forum to appraise my gear. What I was looking for was some advice on how to find an appraiser (or other ways to help determine condition of the cameras and lenses). I've got a bunch of very helpful replies and earlier today, I met with a member who gave me some very helpful advice about the cameras. Most of the advice seems to be pointing me to eBay, but that said, I'm planning on becoming a member of APUG to help support the forums.

Thanks to all,

BP

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin