Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,001   Posts: 1,524,390   Online: 948

Shooter
    Multi Format

Minolta Hi-Matic 7s II

I find this camera very cheap in e-bay and I think it is with a fixed lens.

What other things you will consider before you buy this camera?
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the 7S. Nice little rangefinders. Check the focus at infinity and that the
    light metre still works. Will require an alternate to a 1.35v mercury cell though.
    I just use a hand- held metre anyway.

http://www.rokkorfiles.com/7SII.htm

Best regards,

/Clay

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Check the lens for fungus by setting it to bulb and inspecting the lens with a flashlight. It may just be me, but I went through 3 7sIIs before finding one with a clean lens.

Also verify the needle isn't broken by setting the camera to its widest aperture and taking a shot. If the aperture only opens up to f/8-11 or so, the needle the camera traps is broken.

If you can find a working one, these are really sweet little cameras. Great lens and better ergonomics than some of the other cameras of a similar size. The build quality doesn't feel quite as good as some of the other compact rangefinders but the rest easily makes up for it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Check the cleanliness of the viewfinder besides the accuracy of the range-finder. These little cameras are nice and have a very good lens, but were typically prone to dust accumulation in the viewfinder. Cleaning by a professional would cost $30 or $40 but would make the camera easier to use. Courageous and adventurous people try the cleaning job themselves.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning;

Of all of the Minolta rangefinder cameras, the Hi-Matic 7s II seems to be the one with the greatest appeal and mystique, but I am not sure why. The main advantage I can see for the 7s II over any of the other Minolta Hi-Matic number series of rangefinder cameras is the very light weight and small size of the 7s II, but that is all. Yes, it will fit into a pocket easier, if this is a critical issue.

As far as I am concerned, those "qualities" are also some of the detriments of the 7s II. The light weight means that it will be easier to have the camera move when taking a photograph. The lighter weight means that there is less there for additional stability. And, if you have large hands as I do, the smaller size also means that it is not as easy to hold.

In that series of cameras that Minolta built, I still prefer the larger and heavier Minolta Hi-Matic 9 with its full range of shutter speeds from 1 second to 1/500th second. Then the ability to set the control rings to the "A" setting gives you either Shutter Priority or Aperture Priority. If you set them both to "A" you get what Minolta called back then an "Automatic" mode. Now we call it a "Program" mode. And, yes, the Hi-Matic 9 is larger and heavier, and it is easier for me to hold it still with my large hands. The final point is that the Minolta Hi-Matic 9 is also usually cheaper, but the lens is almost the same on either one.

If you like chic, go for the 7s II. If you want a photographic workhorse that will be there for you under a wider range of conditions, look at the Hi-Matic 9.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I just received the Hi-Matic 9 in the mail two days ago....it's a really comfortable camera for me to hold and seems to be rugged as all get-out. Of course, cant report anything on the lens quite yet. But hey, they are running for $10 on evilbay. Give it a shot!
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just picked up a 7s from eBay. Judging from the pictures the seller posted it's in great condition. I've never used a rangefinder so this should be an interesting experience. Heck if I don't like it the camera only cost me $18 so it's not a huge loss. I'm hoping I will like it though. It should be a nice stable mate for my XG7.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning, Rob;

Congratulations on the Minolta Hi-Matic 7s (just the 7s; not the later version 7s II) which is a nice rangefinder camera from the middle 1960s. You will enjoy it.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I think the sweetest of all the Hi-Matics is the Hi-Matic E, if you can find one in working condition.

And for those considering the 7SII or its kissing Cosina cousin, the Konica Auto S3, but who don't like that plus-$200 price tag, there is another member of the family that is basically the same camera, only prettier, and which often flies under the radar, the Vivitar (yes, Vivitar!) 35ES:

Vivitar 35 ES by Greyscale3, on Flickr

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin