Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,711   Posts: 1,482,954   Online: 992

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Bought a Konica Auto S2 - clean but...

So I ended up with a Konica Auto S2 after some scouring around the local shops. It's in fantastic condition, although light seals might need some work and yellow focus thing seems to be off.

I tried the "focus at infinity" approach and looks like the images don't line up. I'm taking this as a sign of out-of-calibration focusing thing for the RF.

Curious if anyone knows any sort of instruction to adjust the calibration of the focusing piece? At the price I got it, I figure I should just do it myself.

Shooter
    35mm
    Great lens on this camera. Rangefinder calibration is done via 2 screws (horizontal and vertical) - see here for a description. I love mine - my only complaint is the film advance throw is quite powerful - not an issue for most commercial packaged rolls, but if you're bulk-rolling your own, make sure the film is taped securely to the spindle or it will come off completely. Not a big deal, but a bit of a surprise when it happened to me the first time
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like mine very much!

Jeff

Falkland Islands: not any more now I'm in Lincolnshire UK
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't like the lens. It is better than some of my much more expensivs cameras!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have one that was gifted to me by a good friend. It's my favorite Japanese rangerfinder camera. I like it better than the Canon. The metering is so so, that is, I don't completely trust it. But I've learned its quirks and it works fine for me now. And yes, I agree, this camera has a great lens.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    35mm
    Anyone know which kind of screw i have to use to adjust? Philips? Flathead?

Also cant figure out how to get the top part off. Looks like it might need vert adjustment. How does one take off the film lever, etc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by dugrant153 View Post
    Anyone know which kind of screw i have to use to adjust? Philips? Flathead?

Also cant figure out how to get the top part off. Looks like it might need vert adjustment. How does one take off the film lever, etc
    I found this thread on the subject (top removal info starts with "Jack Conrad"'s posts). Looks like there might be a smooth screw holding the film advance lever in place that requires some friction to remove.
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Follow the instructions and re-align the RF then change light seals. You will not be sorry. I got mine for $4.99 from Goodwill, fixed almost the same problems and now it is working like new. Amazing lens on this baby. Check this one out, 1/4 sec handheld in my living room.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Snoopy-web.jpg  
    Mihai Costea

"There's more to the picture
    Than meets the eye." - Neil Young

Galleries:My PN & My APUG

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I have (and have used) a lot of FLRFs (Electro 35, Canonet, Oly 35SP, Retina IIIc, etc.), but the Konica Auto S2 is my favorite. The lens rendering is just lovely.

To get a really accurate RF focus, you'll need to first check and adjust infinity focus (lens to film plane), then adjust the RF patch.

Check infinity stop against a ground glass on the film plane. MOST LIKELY this is OK, and doesn't need to be adjusted. To adjust the infinity stop, remove the two small flat-head screws on the bottom of the lens barrel; these secure the scale/trim ring. Loosen the three set screws under the trim ring to move the infinity stop; tighten up again and replace the trim ring.

Again, the infinity stop is probably OK. Don't touch it unless you have to.

To adjust horizontal RF patch: There's no need to remove the top plate to set horizontal rangefinder adjustment. RF adjustment screw is behind a trim screw next to the viewfinder on the back. (It's a pin screw, but you can probably use a pencil eraser to remove it.) Check RF patch alignment at infinity, then again at, say, 3 feet. Use a measuring tape to calibrate the target distance to film plane distance, then adjust RF to match.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin