Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,555   Posts: 1,545,012   Online: 685

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by zesbaugh View Post
    True, but Henry doesn't just service, it's a top to bottom restoration. You get back an as new (or better) camera.
    Everything gets pulled, cleaned, checked for tollerance (down to the individual screws) and reassembled to factory specs (with original Contax parts or ones he fabricates himself - no Kiev bits sneeking in). For that I am willing to wait whatever time it takes.
    Or maybe I'm just a sucker...but since I'm already on the list I may as well stick it out.
    Worth waiting for. I got a camera and two lenses back from him that look and work like new. Every shutter speed is perfect and even the finger focus wheel works smoothly. Expensive but worth every penny. The case and new leather he put my camera are superb. The lenses he cleaned look and work like new . Sharp at every aperture no focus shift and just a pleasure. All for less than the price of a new sonnar m mount i call it a bargain that wont be around forever Use the sonnar on an Amedeo adapter until you get your camera back

Nik

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If you remove the lens, then extend the focussing helical. You will be able to see the helical inside. Put a pin sized drop of oil or some grease meant for cameras. Then work the mechanism back and forth til it is smooth. That should hold you until the service.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trask View Post
    Does anyone know if Eddy Smolov has recovered? By the time I got to the third post above I was going to recommend Eddy, but then I saw the comment that he has been unwell. He did a good job on my Contax IIa, and would recommend him.
    After this thread I contacted Eddy about a few items I have been holding to send him over a year now.

He is still not well. Here is his reply.

date: Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 12:02 PM
    subject: Re: Are you taking work again ? Re: Large Format lenses in Compound shutters

Dear Sir:

At this time I am no longer taking any repairs because of my impaired health and am currently seeking treatment. As an alternative to me, I recommend you get in touch with a colleague of mine, Jerry Sorin, an experienced camera technician with nearly 30 years experience. He will provide the same service as I do. His email address is jerrysorin3@gmail.com. His phone # 347-275-5999 or cell # 646- 8318757
    Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    If you remove the lens, then extend the focussing helical. You will be able to see the helical inside. Put a pin sized drop of oil or some grease meant for cameras. Then work the mechanism back and forth til it is smooth. That should hold you until the service.
    My IIa had the same problem as the OP, bought it in late 2008. I used white lithium grease, as recommended hither and thither on the intertubes, and lubrication has been good ever since.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin