Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,104   Online: 1005

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That camera looks really nice. I have several times looked ( and configured) my ala carte, but never pulled the trigger, someday I will

cheers

Shooter
    35mm
    I would find vulgar a Ferrari (Lamborghini, Maserati etc.) that is bought just for driving in the city centre. That would show that the real intention of the buyer is just to show off his wealth (a human, but not really commendable behaviour).
    On the other hand if you buy such car because you actually drive it on the track 10 times a year, than you do if compelled by your passion for cars and for driving, and if you are wealthy and can afford a Ferrari, that's so much better not just for you, but for the community as a whole, as this world would lose something if those cars ceased to have a market.

By the same token, if one bought a Leica just because his wallet is fat, and use it just to take 2 birthday rolls a year and sport in front of his relatives how rich he his, then I would consider that man quite poor at heart. If somebody is passionate about photography, like the OP and anybody else in this forum, then in buying this camera and putting it at good use he would not just do what I would have done had I had the money, but also helped a struggling firm to survive and an entire important piece of photography to remain alive.

So I am glad there is people still buying Leicas, and I am glad they buy them not as status-symbols but as tools of our beloved craft. And I do believe the that OP wanted to share with us his enthusiasm for the newborn baby and not brag about being able to afford it.

Fabrizio
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    35mm RF
    That is a very nice M7!
    Disregard all the crap Posted by individuals that feel that they can Post any and all comments without regard to propriety.
    I have two M7's, both 0.85 finders and wish they both looked like yours!-Dick

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by budrichard View Post
    That is a very nice M7!
    -Amen to that. I really, really hope to get hold of a nice M7 somewhere down the line (My M3+MR is nice, but there's a lot to be said for TTL metering and aperture priority!)

What is most fascinating about the a-la-carte concept is that they get away with actually charging more to do less (ie. leaving the engraving out sets you back an additional US$200 or so, IIRC (Yes, I've spent way too much time looking at different M7 configurations...)

Enjoy! (I'll keep lusting after that .58, black paint M7 a while longer...)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Segedi,

Happy Birthday, Congratulations, Mazel Tov, May The Force Be With You !
    Or, Just have a nice weekend. Choose the one that's most appropriate.

No one should be criticized for purchasing what they can afford.

And there are a few different threads on APUG encouraging us to tell
    everyone about the new equipment that we've purchased or received.

I am extremely happy that you bought such a beautiful camera !
    I am also extremely happy that you are an APUG Subscriber !
    Believe Me, I wouldn't have been very happy if you were " Showing Off "
    such an incredible item, and not dropping a few bucks into the APUG Bin.

Fortunately I was able to spend lots of money on equipment in the past.
    And I'm sure I will in the future, being as I have several Alpa lenses waiting
    to snuggle up to a beautiful Alpa camera body. At the moment I enjoying
    going to all the local thrift shops and buying all the $5.00 cameras available.
    And actually found the Alpa lenses at a thrift shop, and hoping to find more
    sweet surprise in the future. As long as we are all buying film, and having fun,
    that's all that really matters. I hope you have lots of film, and fun !

Enjoy The Weekend !

Ron
    Last edited by M.A.Longmore; 05-06-2011 at 07:17 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Thanks for showing us the camera, it is something that will last for years and is a fine long term investment, I hope the images made and the experience using it will bring you the greatest of pleasure .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I found 2F/2F's post quite irritating. Its awfully tiring when people make such judgements of other people on a forum like this, when the OP certainly did not post a provocative or obnoxious comment in the first place. At no point was he sneering at those with lesser cameras...

I do hope 2F/2F does not enjoy any material pleasures or basic comfort whatsoever because I am pretty sure that based on his own reasoning I can explain why he is a selfish human being. Or alternatively we can just leave each other alone

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    There are all kinds of expensive things in the world. At least the purchase of a new a la carte Leica does something to keep these excellent film cameras in production and demonstrates that such things are still valued.

Are we so surprised when someone buys a top-of-the line DSLR or MF DSLR and a couple of high-end lenses? Such investments in mass-produced electronics are substantially greater, I suspect, than the cost of the camera in question.

Congratulations on your acquisition.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    I am 20 percent jealous and 80 percent disgusted! Kind of like when I see a beautiful Ferrari on the road, but then actually think about the fact that someone spend more money than I'll make in 20 years on that car just to drive it in stop and go traffic on the 101, passing thousands of hungry homeless people on the way to wherever it is he/she is headed.
    Irony.

http://www.dpug.org/forums/f41/wtb-d700-2323/
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    I am 20 percent jealous and 80 percent disgusted! Kind of like when I see a beautiful Ferrari on the road, but then actually think about the fact that someone spend more money than I'll make in 20 years on that car just to drive it in stop and go traffic on the 101, passing thousands of hungry homeless people on the way to wherever it is he/she is headed.

Always get a chuckle when I read such arguments. The truth of the matter is that if you could afford to buy a camera you wanted, regardless if it was needed or not, you likely would. It's not fair to judge others who can just because you can't. I know people who drive Ferraris and also donate time/money to soup kitchens in NYC.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin