Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,713   Posts: 1,483,018   Online: 684

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    adi

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hi. Like NT, I also have far more fixed lens RF's than I need. 12 in fact. In terms of lens quality and enjoyment, my favourites are:
    Minolta Hi-Matic E f.17 but unfortunately a fully automatic camera, does credible available light half-body portraits, great for indooor documentary photography if used with ISO 400 or faster film;
    Olympus 35RC f2.8 Shutter priority, very sharp Zuiko lens, great as a compact "in case" camera that gives very decent results outdoors;
    Minolta AL-F f2.7 Shutter priority, decent but not outstanding Rokkor lens, does very well at landscapes and buildings,feels wonderfully solid and mechanical, really a delight to use. Lens is not that well coated though, use a hood when in doubt. I pretend its a Leica
    Contax G2, without a doubt the best camera I own but not really compact. 28, 45 and 90mm lens are an unbeatable combination. Can be had at a fraction of the cost of an M6. You could probably pick up a G2 body with 35mm lens for $700. 28mm and 45mm lenses are more expensive ($200-400) and the oustanding 21mm landscape lens doesn't go for less than $700. I have all the lenses but use the 45mm and 28mm most often.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nobody has spoken of Yashica GS/GT family yet? Oustanding Yashinon 45/1.7, aperture priority with stepless time (COPAL - central shutter) between 1/500-30sec. with under- & overexposure. What else? Yeah, it's a big girl..in considering RF family.
    cheers
    Dominik
    http://distantmoon.pl

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I also have a Yashica GS, I like it! Just hard to find batteries for it.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I'm a big fan of the Retina IIIc. Wonderful fixed lens camera. Lots of great ones actually but the Retina is a bit unique in regards to its size.

I went with fixed lens rangefinders for a while... until a Leica IIIc came along locally for a good price. I still use the fixed lens rangefinder a fair amount, as I like the 40mm focal length, enjoy the built in meter, like the optional use of aperture/shutter priority, etc. The lenses on some of these fixed lens rangerfinders are very good - on par with glass I use on the Leica at 50mm, better than what I'm using at 35mm.

The Leica is great if I want the choice between 35mm and 50mm. The lenses I use have a different look than the more modern fixed lens camera.

If I had to go with only one camera, I frankly would be fine with any of these options.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Minolta Hi-Matic are great little cameras. Tough, all-metal, fast lenses, cheap, and great optical quality.

Oh wait! What did I see? I just have one for sale!

My, what a coincidence: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum379/...matic-7-a.html
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    35mm
    geez, fanboys, relax! has anyone noticed that the OP wants to shoot weddings with this junk?

dugrant, each one i touched (auto S2, QL-17, even the fabled 35GT) literally fell apart in my hands, shutter failing mid-roll on all of them, after very few rolls. what this means in practice? it means you won't know until you soup the film and discover a few yards of somebody's completely unusable "lifetime memories"

still awesome?

not one of these cameras was designed or built to be operational in 2011. if you like seventies' chrome (like i do, no digital here) get yourself an F2 with, depending on your aesthetics and budget: 28/2, 35/2, 35/1.4, 50/1.8. bridesmaids will still swoon and you'll have something to show the couple the following day
    Last edited by Vilk; 05-18-2011 at 11:52 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yeah, if you plan on doing weddings, you need to take it seriously.
    I mean you need a reliable camera. if soemthing goes wrong and you miss that shot, you will not have another chance. It's fine if you want to take a few shots with your toy. But keep the real work for the real pros.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    35mm
    still awesome?
    uhh... not really. lol
    Thanks for sharing that. It's got me thinking.

Yeah, if you plan on doing weddings, you need to take it seriously.
    I do, which is why I'm posting this question And I appreciate the feedback!

So, this has me thinking... if I want to go RF seriously for wedding work.... Voigtlander Bessa R series? (and more so Leica)

I have two MF cameras that are built like tanks (Pentax 645, Bronica ETRS), so just looking at the RF direction in a similar vein.

I'll keep the Konica Auto S2 for fun street photography, I guess.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    I just bought a Konica Auto S2 myself, from eBay. This is my first rangefinder... looking forward to using it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kubach View Post
    I also have a Yashica GS, I like it! Just hard to find batteries for it.

Jeff
    You can get a 6V replacement. I guess the 6V battery is smaller than the 5.6V mercury and you may want to get a spring that will hold the battery from rattling inside. The circuit inside the camera is designed to handle a bit higher voltage (confirmed by a professional electronics engineer) so that the lightmeter won't lie.

I hope that helps.
    cheers
    Dominik
    http://distantmoon.pl

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin