Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,956   Posts: 1,586,046   Online: 787

Shooter
    Multi Format

Diopter Lens for Contax IIa or IIIa

Last Feb I took my Contax IIa to San Juan for a vacation. I had a bit of trouble looking through the finder as I need a +2 diopter to see and I don't like using my glasses. Since I have diopter lenses for my Leica M camersa that screw in, I thought that an adapter would work. I sent my IIa to SK Grimes with a Leica diopter and asked them to make an adapter.

I got my IIa back from SK Grimes and they were able to make a nice adapter so I can now use Leica M diopter lenses on my Contax IIa. I can SEE again!!!!!!!! Cheers to the lads at SK Grimes!

Here's the IIa eyepiece:

Here are the adapter and the Leica diopter M 1.5:

Here's the adapter in place:

Here's the diopter mounted on the IIa:

A side view of the adapter:

The cost was a very resonable $65 from SK Grimes.

www.skgrimes.com

Leica M diopters are $100 new from B&H.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...M_Diopter.html

They pop up on eBay once in a while.

Overal this is a great mod if you need diopter correction for your IIa or IIIa cameras. I can really see clearly now!
    Tony
    Newnan, GA

Cambo 23SF, Hasselblad, Mamiya M645, Rolleiflex 2.8C
    Rollei 4x4 Grey
    Leica M4-P M3 IIIf RD Contax IIa Nikon SP
    Olympus OM-1 OM-2

http://www.oresteen.com/ROLLEI4X4.htm

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hello, thanks for sharing. Do you know if its possible to order an adjustable diopter for the IIIa? I would like to do that and install it myself. I would also like to know if there is an enlarger that can be attached to the back of the camera, over the viewfinder, so that the image can be enlarged. Coming from the SLR world where they viewfinder image sometimes seems to be the size of an IMAX screen when compared to a rangefinder.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have no idea where one would get an adjustable diopter. If you can find one for another camera you might be able to adapt it.
    Tony
    Newnan, GA

Cambo 23SF, Hasselblad, Mamiya M645, Rolleiflex 2.8C
    Rollei 4x4 Grey
    Leica M4-P M3 IIIf RD Contax IIa Nikon SP
    Olympus OM-1 OM-2

http://www.oresteen.com/ROLLEI4X4.htm

Shooter
    35mm RF
    That's a great accessory for a reasonable price, considering that it's a one-off.

Shooter
    35mm
    SK Grimes does great work and I would highly recommend them.

As I have an astigmatism, a diopter won't do the trick. For my OM's I got an eyecup and cut a piece to fit from an old eyeglass lens, using a dremel tool. It works great without the inconveniece of wearing glasses to look thru the viewfinder.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin