Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,113   Online: 927

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Southern California, United States of America
    Shooter
    35mm

First Rolls: Voigtlander Bessa R3a w/40mm f1.4 Nokton Classic

Just got back 3 rolls of film today, impressed with the Bessa's ability to properly meter. This day was my first serious day out with the Bessa. I hand held these shots at 1/4 of a second with 400 speed Fuji Superia film. The Bessa's shutter is nearly vibration free and the body shape affords a very secure grip when shooting helping to minimize any blur.

Overall a very impressive film camera and the metering inspires confidence!

I wanted a grittier film to evoke the mood of the Harbor life and spirit, and the colors from Superia ring of a slightly classic tone.

Cheers,

Carl

Newport Harbor, Dawn- Bessa R3a w/Voigtlander 40mm f/1.4 Nokton Classic Lens

Newport Harbor Boat Service, Dawn- Bessa R3a w/Voigtlander 40mm f/1.4 Nokton Classic Lens

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Amazing you were able to hand hold those!

Great colors and mood!

Thanks form the share and congrats on having such a great rig.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have relatively large hands, and find that the Bessa trigger winder on my R3A provides even more hand holding stability, especially with the Grip A, which doesn't interfere with the trigger winder throw. Unfortunately, both the Grip A and trigger winder are now discontinued, but still in stock at some dealers.

I've had a similar results with good sharpness at 1/4 second exposures. I could count threads in my son's T-shirt with the 21mm f:4 handheld at 1/4 second, and they showed no blurring.

Lee

Shooter
    35mm

Hi Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
    I have relatively large hands, and find that the Bessa trigger winder on my R3A provides even more hand holding stability, especially with the Grip A, which doesn't interfere with the trigger winder throw. Unfortunately, both the Grip A and trigger winder are now discontinued, but still in stock at some dealers.

I've had a similar results with good sharpness at 1/4 second exposures. I could count threads in my son's T-shirt with the 21mm f:4 handheld at 1/4 second, and they showed no blurring.

Lee
    Good to see I'm not the only one noticing the true and steady nature of the Bessa, pretty amazing things these rangefinders are. I think the square body is really helpful, especially when I lock my hands around it and tuck my elbows in to make an image.

My only wish is that the Bessa R3a gave up the 90mm setting for a 35mm wide setting on the viewfinder, but I'm dealing with it ok. I have a 28mm external finder I put in the hot shoe for the wider lens.

C

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Darn good pictures, if you want garin you could try 3200 Kodak or Ilfordl.

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    i miss my 40mm nokton :-(

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kubach View Post
    Darn good pictures, if you want garin you could try 3200 Kodak or Ilfordl.

Jeff
    Hi Jeff, I have that film too. I didn't want too much grain because I still wanted some fine detail in there and the colors to be "California" style as well. I'd love to go back there again and do some daytime street shooting with some of that 3200 Kodak though . Especially now that I have some confidence renewing in my film shooting abilities.

Carl

Happy Valley - Goose Bay, Newfoundland and Labrador
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    those are some fine shots! especially 1/4s handheld!

really liking the colours and the grain in them as well.
    threemilesfinal.com - An Aviation Industry and Aviation Photography Blog.
    Canon XSi for the Digital and a Lubitel 166B for the Analog. I'm a Medium Format and Film n00b!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by threemilesfinal View Post
    those are some fine shots! especially 1/4s handheld!

really liking the colours and the grain in them as well.
    Thank you, I appreciate it.

Carl

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hi Carl,

Excellent work there, lovely colours and tones. I too have the R3A and Nokton 40mm f1.4 and it is a really lovely combination. Just waiting for 3 rolls of Kodak Ektar to come back, I find the colours are really vibrant.

Cheers

Andy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin