Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,905   Posts: 1,521,288   Online: 1201

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lee
    I have heard that a lot of AP and UPI photogs in the combat areas of the world used Nikon enlarging lenses on Leicas and that is one of the ways Nikon gained a marketing edge. Any truth to that?

lee\c
    A couple of Time/Life photographers shot the Korean conflicts with Leica screw mount bodies and Nikon lenses(not the enlarging lenses, but real camera lenses). In particular, the 50/1.4 is still a fantastic lens with an M adapter.

Interesting article about them here:

http://www.dantestella.com/technical/nikoleic.html#5014

Shooter
    35mm
    I have heard that a lot of AP and UPI photogs in the combat areas of the world used Nikon enlarging lenses on Leicas and that is one of the ways Nikon gained a marketing edge. Any truth to that?

lee\c
    In his book "This is war", David Douglas Duncan tells the whole history in the last page of the book under the title 'Photo Data'. He and other photographers used Nikkors in their Leica and Contax cameras (some used Nikon cameras as backup bodies too). The Nikkor lenses used by him to cover the combat in the front in 1950 were the Nikkor 50mm f/1.5 and, later, the 50mm f/1.4, he used, also the 85mm f/2 and the 135mm f/3.5. According to Duncan, they found these ones to be supperior to Zeiss and Leica equivalent ones. All the pictures were shot with these lenses and Super XX and are printed in 9x12 or 12x17 inches (20x30 or 30x40 cm) in the book.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    What is it with CZ and their "tradition" of having great long-rangefinder-base-length bodies but not providing the fast lenses that such a rangefinder begs for? At least this you can apparently use fast Leica glass on.

It's hard to tell by looking--does the long rangefinder mean this is also going to carry on the designed-by-Yakuza where-the-#%&-do-I-put-these-extra-fingers tradition?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

lee\c
    I'm boggled. For some reason, that sounds WAY cool to me. I'd be tempted to get a screw-mount Leica body just 'cause I've got three enlarger lenses I could use... uh... what about RF coupling? When you do this, do you sacrifice your RF to zone focusing?

Signed,

Scratching his head in Denton.

-KwM-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kwmullet
    I'm boggled. For some reason, that sounds WAY cool to me. I'd be tempted to get a screw-mount Leica body just 'cause I've got three enlarger lenses I could use... uh... what about RF coupling? When you do this, do you sacrifice your RF to zone focusing?

Signed,

Scratching his head in Denton.

-KwM-
    Kevin,
    Lee misread this somewhere. The lenses the press photogs used were actually rangefinder-coupled screw mount Nikon lenses and not enlarger lenses. I wish!
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin