Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,706   Posts: 1,548,494   Online: 1020

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

LTM/m39 Lens that Vignettes a lot.

What LTM lens would produce a noticeable vignette? Focal length doesn't matter, something that vignettes even mildly at full open apertures or a few stops down.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi,

Sorry, I don't know of any that do it particularly more than others. Most lenses, even crummy ones, are pretty good in that even if they vignette, it is not heavily noticeable, like what you want.

But you can make any lens vignette. Get a clear filter and darken the edges with something translucent gray. Maybe a tinted clear finish, or even some paint. Try to make it like a sunburst musical instrument finish, darker at the edges, and fading out moving toward the center of the filter . Easier yet, just burn the edges in the darkroom. Then you get to see and control exactly what you are doing, and you get to make it different every time.

I have used hand-cut zig-zagged black construction paper taped on to do this, but I prefer using the enlarger. And I never tried it on a rangefinder. I always used an SLR so I could see the effect and make modifications.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The Voigtlander 28/3.5 vignettes a decent amount. Though not as much as my Zeiss 21/4.5, but that's M mount. Which makes me think that maybe you should look into the Voigtlander 21/4.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Maybe the easiest way would be to use a hood that is too long for the focal length. You can make one out of a toilet paper tube or PVC pipe if you don't want to spend too much.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello,
    when the first colour films came on the market in the mid 1930's, they were very sensitive to underexposure. The 1:2/5 cm Summar (6 lenses) showed too much vignetting in the corners. So it was improved by enlarging the front lens and adding a 7th lens for correcting it and became the Summarit 1:2/5 cm (I think it was 1939). The vignetting was greatly improved. These pre war lenses had no coating and terefore the contrast is rather small. It is not quite easy to find a good Summar since the glass was very soft and most lenses have damadged front lenses by intensive cleaning.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    One extreme is the Industar 69 - its a 28mm half frame lens for M39. No rangefinder coupling and because it is half frame it goes to full black in the corners.

A less extreme option along the lines of the hood suggestion would be to put on a filter converting ring. If you're lens takes a 49mm filters, put on an adapter for something like a 30mm filter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, so it is mostly DIY stuff to get vignette? I like the idea about the filter rings. Gotta try alot of stuff. I've yet to go into "burning" in the dark room, I have just started developing my own film, lots to learn as there are so many scratches.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin