Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,078   Online: 1064

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

M7 Rangefinder Patch Problems?

Can someone who knows more about rangefinders than me tell me what the deal is with the M7 rangefinder patch?

Is there some trick to getting it the rectangular white focusing patch very visible? Sometimes it is fainter than others, and sometimes it is not there at all.

I think maybe I'm holding the camera incorrectly and just need to be schooled better on rangefinders (lifelong SLR person). Or does it have to do with the quality of light hitting the camera?

I'm aware of the viewfinder upgrade (MP version) available for the M7. Will this help my problem? I really don't feel like spending $300 for the upgrade, so any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a very much related question, I think. With a 1955 M3, is there a way to make the second patch image more visible? That's the one that moves as the focus moves. My recently acquired one is so similar in contrast to the base patch that stays fixed, that I'm having a terrible time focusing the camera in everyday lighting conditions. I find it almost impossible, and not due to an eyesight issue because mine (corrected by glasses) is good enough to manually focus a dim f/8 lens in a small APS-c DSLR viewfinder for birds in flight.

Could it be improved by a CLA - Clean, Lubricate, Adjust - job at a repair shop? Is that necessary?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Rahman View Post
    Can someone who knows more about rangefinders than me tell me what the deal is with the M7 rangefinder patch?

Is there some trick to getting it the rectangular white focusing patch very visible? Sometimes it is fainter than others, and sometimes it is not there at all.

I think maybe I'm holding the camera incorrectly and just need to be schooled better on rangefinders (lifelong SLR person). Or does it have to do with the quality of light hitting the camera?

I'm aware of the viewfinder upgrade (MP version) available for the M7. Will this help my problem? I really don't feel like spending $300 for the upgrade, so any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much.
    The problem or problems you describe are due to your finger or fingers covering over one of the rangefinder windows on the front of the camera. Stand in front of a mirror and view through the finder how you hold the camera. Move iiyour fingers around until you eliminate the patch or have it go dim. you will quickly learn how to hold the camera. Do you use any sort of camera case that may contribute to your problem?
    If your M7 does not have upgrade, the upgrade will not help the problem you describe. Flare in the finder is generally due to a bright source of light near the patch and easily eliminated by slightly changing position. Both my M7's have the upgrade and frankly I notice no difference.-Dick

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Monito View Post
    I have a very much related question, I think. With a 1955 M3, is there a way to make the second patch image more visible? That's the one that moves as the focus moves. My recently acquired one is so similar in contrast to the base patch that stays fixed, that I'm having a terrible time focusing the camera in everyday lighting conditions. I find it almost impossible, and not due to an eyesight issue because mine (corrected by glasses) is good enough to manually focus a dim f/8 lens in a small APS-c DSLR viewfinder for birds in flight.

Could it be improved by a CLA - Clean, Lubricate, Adjust - job at a repair shop? Is that necessary?
    A CLA will not cure your problem. It's a 50 year old camera and who knows whether its original or some clown has gone through it. Leica will install an M6j type finder which will work fine. Others will take your money and try to remake your finder. It's your choice.-Dick

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by budrichard View Post
    A CLA will not cure your problem. It's a 50 year old camera and who knows whether its original or some clown has gone through it. Leica will install an M6j type finder which will work fine. Others will take your money and try to remake your finder. It's your choice.-Dick
    Leica charge a lot for a new finder.
    Some of the independents e.g.
    http://www.angelfire.com/biz/Leica/
    will dismantle and resilver the reangefinder spot.
    Ive see one of CRRs refurbs and it was brighter then any onf my Ms.
    You pays your money you takes your choice...
    Noel

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin