Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,975   Posts: 1,523,639   Online: 1112

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Canonet G-III QL17 625A battery

I just got my hands on a Canonet G-III QL17 and am having some battery issues. I've tried both an Wein cell and a 675 in the MR9 adapter and neither seems to power the camera. However, a 625A (1.5v alkaline) works just fine. So, I'm off for a day of shooting Kodak Gold 200 tomorrow and need to know what ASA to set. With my F-1, I'd set it at ASA 80 - the same for the Canonet?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning, Tony;

Yes, cutting the ISO or ASA film speed rating in half and setting that on the dial will usually get you into the proper range for using a 625 alkaline cell in place of the old mercury cell.

The point about the CRISCam MR-9 adapter not working is a puzzle. Mine have been working fine with a Silver-Oxide battery in them. Do you have a volt meter you can use to measure what the camera is seeing for voltage on the contacts? It is possible that there is a problem with either the diode or with a soldered connection in the MR-9.

If you want to go through it, send a PM to me and we can discuss the way to test the MR-9 and check to see that the diode was installed correctly. If the diode is in backwards (actually a fairly easy mistake to make if you are just a little careless), the reverse voltage blocking charactersitic of the diode will not allow the device to supply power from the battery with the expected slight voltage drop.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Ralph,

The MR9 works fine in my Canon F-1, just not the QL17. I'll have another go at it, though. I'm off to shoot some pics right now.

Thanks,

Tony

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Tony,

This is real dumb, the only reason I mention it is because, well, I did it...

Are you putting the C.R.I.S. adapter in upside down? It'll fit that way.

Once I figured that out, I have enjoyed great service from it in my GIII.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a CRISCam MR-9 adapter designed for a silver-oxide battery? And isn't a 675 a zinc air hearing aid battery?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by upnorthcyclist View Post
    Are you putting the C.R.I.S. adapter in upside down? It'll fit that way.
    Unfortunately, Mike, I have in the correct way and it's not working. Neither is the Wein cell that I have. Both of these work without trouble in my F-1 so it must be something else.

Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a CRISCam MR-9 adapter designed for a silver-oxide battery? And isn't a 675 a zinc air hearing aid battery?
    The 675s that I have are silver oxide 1.5V.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi again, Tony,

One other little thing that got me with the GIII battery thing - one of the battery contacts, the little metal bump, has to be bright, shiny clean. No oxidation at all. It also can't be pushed down below the level of the surrounding insulator. Sometimes, with age, the springiness of the contact goes away and it it doesn't make a good connection. I've sort of scraped mine clean with a little dental pick. Also, crud gets around it, preventing it from popping up and making good contact with the battery or adapter. It doesn't take much.

Mike

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin