Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,971   Posts: 1,523,581   Online: 920

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Contax G Newbie Questions

I picked up a G-1 a month or so back after missing my Hexar AF. I've bought a 28 and 45 from separate parties and have only received the 28 just today. I downloaded a manual from Michael Butkus and feel pretty good about the functions, etc. I was curious about the play in the front section of the lens. I assumed that it was normal and part of the free moving AF assembly behavior. Is this correct?

Are there any obvious pitfalls or mistakes to avoid for a new user? I'm very pleased with the fit and finish of the equipment. If the optical performance is as good as I hope, I can likely see a 90 and G2 companion someday. Perhaps when the 45 arrives, I'll find I don't miss the 90 with this type of camera anyway.... I use MF RF's and don't seem to ever have the longer lenses on for the duty I'm normally up to.
    Craig Schroeder

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have owned both the G1 and the G2. They are both excellent cameras.

I would suggest spending a bit of time to get used to the idiosyncrasies of your particular G1 ... maybe shoot a roll or two of cheap drugstore C-41 film and try out both your lenses under different shooting conditions.

In my case, I found that the AF on my G1 was a little picky, and sometimes I would unintentionally get out-of-focus shots. There seemed to be a sweet spot where the AF would focus just fine ... sort of like an invisible line-of-sight in the center of the frame. If my subject was off a bit, or I was at the wrong angle, I'd get a blurry photo.

The G1 is known for having a somewhat less-exact AF system than the G2, but this doesn't mean that it's not a great camera in its own right. Good luck and have fun!

p.s. That 28mm Biogon is a killer lens. It's legendary.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes you have to learn how to use the autofocus properly to avoid a lot of out of focus shots. Holding the button down will lock the focus, then reframe and shoot. Takes some practice but worth it. Excellent lenses on this camera.

Shooter
    35mm
    G1 and G2 have a focus indicator in the viewfinder, so that you can know, when in doubt, if the AF locked on the intermediate subject or on the background. It is something that should be on all AF cameras.

I have only one AF camera, my small and dependable Yashica T-3. One presses the shutter release half-way, a green light in the viewfinder goes on and you know the AF is locked, but where is it locked?

Beware some lens (the 35-70 IIRC) is not compatible with the G1, only with the G2.

The only advice I would give is to read the link below for occasions when you need some extended DoF. I used to autofocus somewhere in the middle of the scene, but not at infinite, when I wanted some nearer detail acceptably in focus.

http://www.trenholm.org/hmmerk/DOFR.html

The juice is that in many instances you are better off focusing at infinite and having an acceptable blur in the foreground, than focusing "smart" and having nothing perfectly in focus.
    Last edited by Diapositivo; 07-07-2011 at 05:35 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Anyone comment on the wobbly front assembly on my 28mm Biogon? I'm new in all ways to the G series equipment and don't know if this is normal?
    Craig Schroeder

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by craigclu View Post
    Anyone comment on the wobbly front assembly on my 28mm Biogon? I'm new in all ways to the G series equipment and don't know if this is normal?
    This should NOT be the case. Might be an issue. Is it returnable?
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Agree, something is not right with the lens. Find a Contax guy in your area, see what they have to say before too much water is under the bridge.

I was looking at a G1 as a back-up, but the 21mm lens won't work. And G2 bodies have gone up in price on the bay since I bought mine in '05. Go figure.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    mines not wobbly. take a roll and make sure everything is in ok and not broken.

the marker for the aperture doesnt sit on the actual aperture when the lens is off the camera.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The 21 and 35 WILL work on the G1 if the firmware has been updated, or purchased after the update. Look for the green sticker in the film compartment. If it's green, it's updated, if silver, it won't run the 35 or 21.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by craigclu View Post
    Both my 28 and my 45 have 'wobbly' fronts. I wouldn't worry about it if your images are fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin