Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,494   Posts: 1,543,004   Online: 728

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Leica or Zeiss

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I had some good laughs at the fanaticism displayed in this thread.
    And the sign said, "long haired freaky people need not apply"

Shooter
    35mm
    It seems like the mp would be the better choice for the long run.
    And I would still use for now at least zees lens I love them.

I read that the mp does have a metering system though which would be nice to have, and with the less electronic stuff in it will keep me on my feet I guess.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    M2 or M3 with a lens, and a Sekonic L-398a. You are in for two grand or less, and have pictures just as good, if not better, due to using the incident light meter. Save the other $10,000 you would have spent for your house, vacation, or darkroom.

There are Bessas as well, which are the biggest bang for the buck out there, and which as a bonus have viewfinders better than any Leica ever made IMO.

I'm sorry, but I don't think any camera to be used for actually taking pictures is worth much more than a few thousand dollars, tops. Historical museum pieces are another story. I can see why they might go for big money. They are more than picture takers at that point. But not a film camera, especially not a 35mm one, in this age.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you get into rangefinders for any length of time you will at some point hear the siren's call of the leica, at least most folks do. If you can swing it get it start there and get it out of your system. Nothing wrong with the ikon or bessas for that matter except they aren't Leicas. If you are asking this question that gives you some idea of what that means to you.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Go Leica quality on a budget to start and get a nice CL with the Summicron-C lens or just the body and a Leica 50mm Summicron. See if you like the results. Whether you have a CL or a M3, the results are from the lens IMHO. If you like the results get a M4 or M6 though I do like the M5 though it defintely violates the small camera dictate of the original design of Barnack. The CL then can be a backup body or a daily pocket carrier. CLs with the 40mm can be had in serviced excellet condition for less than a good user M series. The 40mm Sum-C is an excellent lens and tack sharp.

Zeiss glass can be as good as the Leica and that counts for a lot but the reliability and ergonomics of the bodies for me just don't seem to be up to the level of the Leica designs.

SFC

Shooter
    Medium Format
    if you use non Kodak film , you will ruin the results , I am strongly believe this.

Mustafa, I enjoyed reading your comments! Probably mostly true. However, Fuji Acros is a beautiful film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by waltereegho View Post
    I had some good laughs at the fanaticism displayed in this thread.
    Yeah, I had a good laugh about the Kodak film comment earlier.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why not consider a different Leica that is far cheaper and nearly as good? I can't think of a reason why the MP would justify the huge cost difference of an M6 or M7. You can probably use both for the rest of your life and not worry about resale value. But I guess if you have the money, go for it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Leica or Zeiss?
    Hmmmmmmm, i'll take Nikon then...

http://www.cameraquest.com/nrfblsp2005.htm

Cheers

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by André E.C. View Post
    Leica or Zeiss?
    Hmmmmmmm, i'll take Nikon then...

http://www.cameraquest.com/nrfblsp2005.htm

Cheers
    I my Nikon SLR's, rule here, but when I want to go out and do something different in 35mm I will grab my Zeiss Ikon. It's a nice change to shoot a rangefinder now and then.

Come to think of it the Zeiss hasn't been out lately, maybe I will take it to the beach tomorrow.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin