Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,988   Posts: 1,524,070   Online: 1045

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Small Portable fast lens Rangefinder?

Hi all,
    I'm looking to get into film and figured I'd use the 35mm to my advantage (going smaller than any digital Full Frame can be...)

So I'm looking for a small Rangefinder with a faster than f/2 lens, focal length between 20mm-50mm.

I've been looking at the following cameras:
    *Olympus RD
    *Canon QL-17 G-III
    Konica S3
    *Yashica Electro 35CC (the whole series too but mostly this one)
    Minolta 7sII
    *Yashica 35GX

If anyone has any other suggestions please feel free
    Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Canonet is really good, tho a bit big. It's one of the few cameras that I feel comfortable shooting in 1/15 without support.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've heard great things about the Minolta 7sII. I have never owned one but I've used its much bigger predecessor, the 7s, which is a terrific camera. If the 7sII really is smaller, lighter, sharper and faster, then it must be one heck of a RF.
    And the sign said, "long haired freaky people need not apply"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by SunnyHours View Post
    So I'm looking for a small Rangefinder with a faster than f/2 lens, focal length between 20mm-50mm.
    I like and use the Canon QL-17 G-III because with the exception of the built-in light meter and the flash guide number feature, the camera operation is battery independent.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Welcome to film, you will love it.

Two more to consider, Yashica Lynx 14 or 14e. They have a 1.4 lens, the fastest fixed lens RF ever made. I own one and love it. It doesnt even need a battery to photograph (although a battery is needed to use the light meter).

Also consider the Olympus 35 SP, that camera is legendary (but costly).

So long as what you buy (if you use the Internet) has a evaluation period and return policy you are in great form. I bought my Yashica on an auction site, ran some film through it and confirmed it worked and am happy as a clam.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can vouch for the Canonet G-III, I own a few of them. Nice lens, even wide-open, and pocketable. I've also heard nice things about the Konica and Minolta. Actually, you'll be happy with any of the cameras on your list, they're all excellent.

Jim B.

Shooter
    35mm
    I used to have the Konica Auto S3, nice camera. It's got a really short distance between where the film cartridge goes and the take up spool meaning I'd always get at least 38 - 39 shots per roll. I had to play with the ASA rating as it's designed for a mercury battery and I'd use a modern one.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I used to use an Olympus 35RD that I had as part of my Olympus collection and it was a very regular user. Olympus really knew how to make 1st rate lenses and the RD lens was equal to almost anything at the time. I only discontinued using it because the collection formed part of the deal I made for my Bronica system. I think I'd be using it today as I now do with my Leica and not have gotten the Leica.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you guys!
    Yeah I'm hoping I'll enjoy it. It does fit the bill pretty well for what I want it to do. I'm looking for an "all-arounder". I'll be keeping it with me all the time, this is why I'm looking for a RF. I can't always carry my bulky Nikon D7000 with me. I'm also looking to improve my photography...I'm thinking with only 36 exp per film I'll be paying more attention to my settings and composition. Hopefully it'll also follow me to the digital side :P

Let's say, that I'm really poor (you're probably thinking "he's got a D7000, how poor can he be?" Hence the reason why I'm poor LOL) and I'd be looking for a ~100$ to spend on a RF? What would you go for?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would recommend the Yashica it is very good. The cameras in this series were called the poor man's Leica. The autoexposure mode officially goes down to 30 seconds. A good feature if you are interested in night photography. I have 4 of Yashicas in various models and they are very well built.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 07-25-2011 at 07:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin