Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,899   Online: 930

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Agfa Super Silette Light Seals

I have a very nice little Agfa Super Silette L with the 2.8 50mm color solinar but it has a serious light leak. All other functions are working just fine, even the meter. I would like to get this little camera back up and taking pictures so I at least need a source for the light seals in the back of this camera, or someone who is experienced at doing this repair. It probably wouldn't hurt to have it CLAd at the same time. I've never done any of this work before so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Shooter
    35mm
    Are you sure it has light seals? I've owned a number of Agfa and Ansco cameras
    and none had light seals -- at least not the foam variety as found on Japanese
    cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Yep

Yes. I looked again. Since my eyes ain't what they used to be I even pulled out the old magnifying glass. There is definitely a narrow, very thin piece of what looks like felt on the hinge end and what may be a string material in the grooves along the top and the bottom. I cannot see anything on the latch end.

As you can see from the attached thumbnail (I hope its showing up) there is most certainly a light leak and it appears to be coming from the latch end.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 003_02.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, that looks like a light leak all right but it looks to me like it's coming from the center of the top edge of the film door.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can use embroidery thread or a thin yarn. The seal in the camera was very likely yarn thats now been compressed after how many years?
    Take the camera to the fabric shop & try them on for size.
    Contact cement works well for fastening. Dip a tooth pick in the cement and draw it along the groove.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    I would advise against yarn. It can shed fibers that can cling to film or cause other troubles.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Dented film door

After getting the magnifying glass out I looked very, very closely and somehow in the past the film door has been struck and there is a very small dent. Obviously this has changed the seal in the door and it no longer closes properly at this location. I'm not too sure what to do at this point but I am certainly no camera repair person so I will have to decide whether or not it is worth spending the money to have someone try to repair it or whether it is just best to sell it as a parts camera. Everything else, including the meter, seems to work just fine so it is a bit of a shame. Thanks so much for everyone's response.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm sure you could find another, working example for less then the cost of repairing this one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

A Replacement

Yeah, your right. In fact I already have a nice little Super Memar, but it does not have a light meter. I manage to work my way around it using a handheld meter but having that option built into the camera is sure nice if I can get it. I have some nice Large Format and Medium Format cameras for my more serious work (as serious as I ever get anyway), so using a light meter with those is kind of expected. However I tend to use the Super Memar as more of a carry everywhere snapshot camera. Having to pack a light meter as well has been a bit of a pain so I was actually looking forward to being able to use this Super Silette L in its place. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Shooter
    35mm
    I got this little clip-on meter for my Super Memar:

It has the Voigtlander name on it but I believe it was really made by Bertram (Bewi).
    I usually just carry it in a pocket and use it when needed. It's about the smallest
    clip-on I've seen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin