Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,429   Posts: 1,596,801   Online: 1251

Shooter
    Multi Format

Rangefinder adjustment (Olympus 35 SP)?

I posted the same thing on flickr, but I figure that I might get more responses here and was hoping that someone could help me out.

My 35 SP's rangefinder has been a little off [horizontally] at infinity ever since I got it (although I haven't had any trouble with shots being out of focus). I was hoping that I could adjust it myself because it annoys me to have infinity focus at just before the infinity end of the lens' focus. I know that there is a screw above the film rails that I can use to adjust the rangefinder, but I was wondering if I had to also adjust the close focus and how I would go about doing that if I did indeed have to. Do I even have to adjust the rangefinder for close focus or is it only infinity that matters? Any other tips will also be appreciated. Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To infinity and beyond! Or just set for infinity. There's no adjustment for close focus.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Awesome, that's what I figured. Thanks! I spent over an hour this morning adjusting the rangefinder while sitting on my balcony with the Oly on a tripod and focused on some distant telephone poles and buildings. It took me a while, but it seems to be pretty much perfect now. Calibrating the rangefinder for infinity should theoretically give me perfect focus across the lens' entire range, right? I ask because I'm using this camera for a 12 hour photo marathon next weekend and I don't want my focus to suck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    See how easy that was? Having a balcony and chair is positively luxurious

It can be time consuming and tedious but it's not rocket science
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It wasn't hard, but it was a bit of a pain. I thought that it was fine at one point and then I had to go and redo it because it wasn't. I checked the focusing today (but very quickly because I had to leave), I checked the film plane with a piece of packaging plastic and some tape over it. I used the light-table loupe, but it was too big to fit in normally, so I had to use it backwards. The close focus and near-infinity focus seemed good, but the middle was fishy. However, my test was really quick and not very proper (backwards loupe, thick-ish plastic piece), so I hope that it turns out OK.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin