Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,545   Posts: 1,572,866   Online: 976

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Super stiff aperture ring for 5cm Collapsible Summicron

kind of a newb with the rangefinder....

Is there a home fix for a super stiff aperture ring on my 5cm Summicron, or am I going to be sending it in.

Tired of wearing the skin off of my fingers trying to go from f2 to f8.

I mean it's really stiff.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just send it to someone for cleaning and re-lubrication. You'll be glad you did.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    DO NOT force it! If it takes more than fingertip pressure to move the aperture ring you are likely to break the internal parts.

Ask me how I know this...
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes! Have it serviced. Randy can no doubt relate a horror story of exploding aperture blades. It shouldn't be a terrifically expensive fix, the lens will feel wonderful after it's done, and you won't put yourself in line for an even more expensive repair which is sure to follow later.

I had the same thing done (mine was only a bit stiff, apparently owing to a slightly bent acuator mechanism), and I'm very glad I did.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Aperture blades can break? I've never seen that before ...
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If the blades become misaligned they can cut into each other.

If they become jammed the pivots can break loose or the actuator pins can break off.

If you're lucky they'll only pop out of their sockets, in which case, is only a disassembly, clean and repair job but even if they can be reassembled, there could be minute damage that will cause them to break or jam again... Usually at the worst possible moment.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I just fixed mine with this very same problem. Warning fix at your own risk!!!!!!!
    But the front element just screws off. Once off take a q tip a but a small amount of lighter fluid on the tracks that the apeture ring travels on and then just work the apeture and the lighter fluid will clean the tracks. There is a ring that will have to line back up it fits in a groove. Put it back together with the lens wide open is easier. You can do this without ever touching the blades. Go to justinlowe.com and search for Summitar repair. Your lens is built just like the Summitar.
    Last edited by cosmonaut1959; 09-01-2011 at 10:59 PM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin