Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,501   Posts: 1,543,331   Online: 927

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Camera shops in Kiev (Kyev), Ukraine?

I'm heading to Kiev towards the end of September, so of course am interested in seeing what -- beyond Kiev RF cameras -- might be for sale locally. Maybe pick up an 85mm for my Contax.

Has anyone have any advice for me on camera shops or other places to find photographic equipment in Kiev? I'll be arriving on a Saturday, I believe, so in theory could visit an antiques fair or some such if one is operating. (Like I went to an antiques open-air market in Moscow about 7 months ago).

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I have two friends from Romania and Bulgaria. They said camera sellers optimize their prices from e bay. So may be do Ukrainians also. But Ukraine economy minimum wage less than 100 dollars and if you can speak Russian , you can make a deal.

I found few Ukranian Online shops there and their prices were very very high but I had been contacted with Arsenal and their prices was 1/5 of
    e bay and usa.

How was the Moscow prices ?

Good luck ,

Umut
    Istanbul

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    At the outdoor flea market fair I went to, there were a few quasi-permanent sellers who didn't have much Russian equipment of any quality. They had some well-used low-level Japanese equipment that I had no interest in. So I left Moscow without finding anything. Conversely, I did manage to buy a Kiev RF camera in Georgia about 8 years ago, so that was a useful visit camera-wise.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I had been contacted Arsenal - Kiev Factory - and their Kiev 88 Full Kit was 150 dollars when 4 times or more expensive at US. I doubt that Moscow or Kiev camera shops have working cameras at their hand , all of these cameras are very expensive for them and flied to US with epay.
    May be even mafia in this business because there is easy profit. Zorki and Feds are on European online sellers and goes with same price of low priced Leica. May be You could buy LOMO Panaromic Camera from Moscow New and I had been recieved a price quote from them like Stalins Order , 600 dollar camera was 250 dollars at them with free international shipping. Black , latest ones , I am not remembering its name now. Find Zenit Factory website.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    In Moscow, where you at the Ismailovsky outdoor market? I have occasionally found Nikkor Ai lenses there. There are a couple of very good stores for second hand cameras of all brands, that carry Soviet equipment, in Moscow. The prices were not unreasonable. Check out www.kamera.ru for example.

I found a camera store that carries used cameras in Kiev as well, not far from subway station Stadion. I looked at one old Russian folder and asked a few questions, but the lady that was attending the store that evening did not know anything about the camera. You might have better luck if you go there.

In both cities you can look for online ads from people who are selling their own used cameras. For this you need to know Russian or Ukrainian in most cases.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Arsenal Factory (subway Arsenalna) has a shop with new Kiev cameras (when I was there, though, only medium format and the nikon-mount slr). Worth a visit though, because of the history of the factory.

There is a photo store on krasnoarmeislaya (subway Palats Ukraina) too, whith quite a good selection of used equipment (as well as new)...other than that, it's markets and tourist streets (such as andriyskiy), but i'd stay away from buying those...they are often in terrible shape.

Regular camera/electronic stores with decent selection of new stuff are everywhere, especially around the Petrovka shopping area (subway Petrivka).

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I really appreciate everyone's advise. Erik: yes, I was at Ismailovsky, I think. In November, so maybe there weren't as many sellers as might be found in better weather. I'll try to check out the Kiev sites, if I can break away from work. Thanks!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Dear Trask, when reading Mannbro's post I see that I was mistaken. We are talking about the same store in Kiev. It is close to palats ukrainy, not stadion.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I would take my fingers away trying to make a bargain at a Kiev photo shop! No guarantee and lots of junk available, for the stupid tourists!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin