Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,269   Posts: 1,534,394   Online: 880

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hee hee... actually my main point was to knock over the silly straw man that any single piece of equipment is "best," though one of these days I'm going to just have to make a wee web page on my site just to educate the world on the correct way to use the G2 autofocus — a method that's quiet and quicker than anything I've managed with a Leica (I've had IIIc and M5 models in years gone by).

Current 45mm Zeiss on ebay: ~$150
    Current 50mm Summicron: ~$650
    Current 50mm Summilux: ~$1300

So for someone like me shooting HP5, the difference is about 300 rolls of film and processing -- for the Summilux almost 700 rolls or 25,000+ exposures. And that's not even bothering with the cost difference between additional lenses or between a G2 body and a beat-up M4

One wonders if that reasoning played a part in the minds of switchers to Contax like Luc Delahaye, Robert Frank, or William Eggleston...

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorke
    Hee hee... actually my main point was to knock over the silly straw man that any single piece of equipment is "best," though one of these days I'm going to just have to make a wee web page on my site just to educate the world on the correct way to use the G2 autofocus — a method that's quiet and quicker than anything I've managed with a Leica (I've had IIIc and M5 models in years gone by).
    Do share! I was looking at a G1 or G2 for my bang around 35mm, but after hearing so much bad press I passed. Please make a new post or send me a PM!
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Jeremy, what do you want to know about the G2, I have been shooting one for about 3 or 4 years now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've had my G1 for two months and I can say that it is definitely worth the $$. I have had many compliments on how sharp those optics are. I would like to hear about the tips that others have for focus.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Got my G1 in 1995 and got a G2 when they first appeared - later got a second G2 body. I have all the lenses - except the zoom. I have taken thousands of pictures with them with zero problems.

BTW, I also have a couple M3 Leicas. The M3s are fine cameras, but when I shoot rangefinder 35 it is with the Contaxes.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore
    Do share! I was looking at a G1 or G2 for my bang around 35mm, but after hearing so much bad press I passed. Please make a new post or send me a PM!
    Ask and ye shall receive: my amazing guide to correct Contax G2 focusing

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Hee hee... actually my main point was to knock over the silly straw man that any single piece of equipment is "best,"
    I sure hope that you don't consider me a "silly straw man".

I never said that Leica was the "Best". I only told Nicole that in my opinion she would not regret buying one

Jim
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"...Wayne Gretzky

Shooter
    Multi Format

Thank you thank you tank you...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I really enjoyed reading your Contax AF blog. I had to back up a link and browse around and wow...
    http://www.botzilla.com/photo/journal/snowed.html
    ...I came across one of the best monochrome images to ever grace my display. stunning, man. Stunning.

bravo.

-KwM-

(I return you now to the regularly scheduled topic. Just got wowed by the image.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kwmullet
    ...http://www.botzilla.com/photo/journal/snowed.html
    ...I came across one of the best monochrome images to ever grace my display. stunning, man. Stunning.

bravo ...
    WOW I agree it is beautiful, just imagin what the print must look like!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin