Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,241   Online: 775

Shooter
    35mm

Can I modify my Nikon S2?

Looks like the viewing glass of my S2 is getting greener and darker every day. I have been thinking about cannibalizing another camera (not a Nikon rangefinder) to replace the viewing glass on my S2. Has anyone tried this? Is this possible? I want to be able to use my S2 in low light again and I don't want to use an add-on optical viewfinder.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Have you talked to a repair shop by any chance just to get an idea of what your options are?
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider View Post
    Have you talked to a repair shop by any chance just to get an idea of what your options are?
    I spoke to a repairman a few years ago and he told me there was no way to repair the viewing glass. I read somewhere that it is possible to replace the glass finder of the S2 with that of a Nikon N80 (or similar). This is something I am contemplating doing myself unless I can find a repairman who can do this.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Having it cleaned internally may make a difference, the rangefinder spiltter may not improve unless it can be resilvered, some people may do this, some will do for Leicas..

Noel

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    Having it cleaned internally may make a difference, the rangefinder spiltter may not improve unless it can be resilvered, some people may do this, some will do for Leicas..

Noel
    Thanks Noel! The small rangefinder window on my S2 looks pretty clear. The rest of the window is turning dark green. My guess is that it is a result due to age.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hi

The thing that makes the viewfinder dim is contiminants on each air to glass surface of the view finder and rangefinder optical paths.
    If you have the top plate lifted and the optics cleaned then the finder may be brighter but the rangefinder spot relatively dim, compared with new. Looking at the window from the front wont provide a complete assessement.

You need a good repair person who is familiar with Nikon rangefinders.

Noel

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin