Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,764   Posts: 1,516,237   Online: 1029

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: budget RF

Shooter
    Multi Format
    thanks for the info and the links,

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Legge View Post
    1) Does it work fully?
    2) Do the ergonomics work well for you? (camera size, finder, etc)?
    3) Does it meet your needs (automatic/manual/both, lens speed and focal length, meter, etc)
    brian,
    these are the main questions i had in mind: primarly the ergonomics and the feeling with a RF system, this is why i'm searching for a cheap camera, and secondary at least (but not necessarly) an integrated light meter.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    My only experience with 35mm rangefinder cameras stems from a Minolta HiMatic 7s. A very fine camera, if somewhat on the heavy side. Has a very nice Rokkor 45mm f/1.8 lens, fully mechanical leaf shutter and a bright rangefinder. I sold mine (a bargain condition camera) for 35$. If you want something smaller, lighter and better, the 7sII is its more expensive brother.
    And the sign said, "long haired freaky people need not apply"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you lived closer I would offer you a Yashica GS in working condition but the shipping would be more than the camera is worth.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wouldn't recommend an old CCCP clunker as a first rangefinder. Nor an old Leica II or III or any of the old bottom loaders. They are all very nice cameras in their own right but I think the first RF should be somewhat easier to use. A Yashica G*, Minolta 7 or a Canonet are fine provided they are in good working condition. My own suggestion would be an Olympus 35 RC. It's small and cheap but very much a real rangefinder.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would not recommend any of the russian range finders. They are quit crude in design and not very dependable. However many of the Leica mount russian lenses are quit good. Get a used Voightlander Bessa or one of the Yashica G series.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Zeiss Ikon Contessa if you really want a 35mm, it's a fixed single lens but they will get the job done. There is a lot of alphabet soup after the word "Contessa" but not a lot of difference, find the one that fits your budget and you should be fine.

There is the Polaroid 340 as well it is a rangefinder, it's cheep, and while it is a different film format, getting prints is really easy.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    Multi Format

Voigtländer Vitomatic II

As good as a Contessa but with a clear life-size rangefinder.
    http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Vitomatic_IIa

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jojje View Post
    As good as a Contessa but with a clear life-size rangefinder.
    http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Vitomatic_IIa
    That is nice
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can recommend a Konica Auto S2, a Canonet QL 17GIII, and a Yashica Electro GSN. Minola Hi-Matic series also comes to mind.

I started with a fixed-lens rangefinder and I see no reason to move to interchangable lenses.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I too recommend an Konica Auto S2, very good camera for the price.

Jeff

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin