Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,672   Online: 1177

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    David,

can´t find the manual, it must be somewhere in my bedroom.

Mine has a Color Apotar, too, looks like 4 element lens with MC - I know it was the mid-level lens type for that series of cameras. Your shutter speed range sound like mid-level, too, the top leage had EV coupling and my Pronto ranges only in B/50/100/200 - it is the basic shutter.

Focussing isn´t that difficult. First I am used to metrics (,->), second I learned how to guess with my Minox 35GTX which isn´t actually that different...

Sit down in your living room and guess the distances from your position to certain items - the couch, the TV set, the bird cage in the corner. Then measure it. Or use an SLR with a tele lens to measure it.

Do that whereever you are and you get a good feeling for close distances.

Or... if you are lazy - get an external Rangefinder like the soviet Blik or the german Watameter. I usually have one with me when I go out with my ancient 6x9 folders.
    Tschüss,
    Roman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is a free manual for download here:
    http://rurmonas.cust.nearlyfreespeec...il/supsil.html
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Very cool info! I am looking for the Watameter - just for kicks. How do you like the Blik compared to the Watameter? Big differences in price between the two.

Thanks for the manual. I downloaded the whole thing and now to figure out this camera.

What a cool little camera. I loaded some ISO 125 B&W film last night and am going to shoot today - Sunny 16 don't let me down.

I will still try my light meter for some of the shots. I will keep you all posted on the results. Thanks again and again for the info.
    David Savkovic

My home page

Shooter
    35mm
    I had a Silette with Apotar lens for many years but I think it was f3.5 When I became keener on photography I got rid of it because I didn't find the lens that good, though part of the trouble may have been that the colour negative films of the 60's and 70's (mainly Agfacolor CN17 etc) which I was using weren't themselves capable of very high resolution. The best lens on a Silette was the Solinar. Anyway best of luck with yours!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks! If I have too much fun with this....I may end up getting a used Leica.....Oh, the wife would shoot me...and not with a camera either.
    David Savkovic

My home page

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    David,

I don´t see that many differences - a rangefinder is a rangefinder is a rangefinder.

The Blik was probably build in higher numbers and it is technically similar to the Watameter I, they both are a basic external RF.

From http://www.corff.de/Klappkameras/Klappkameras.html - Das Klappkamera-ABC, a decent guide to folding cameras:

This is my Watameter II on my Adox Golf:
    http://www.corff.de/Klappkameras/con..._Watameter.jpg

This is a Blik, not mine:
    http://www.corff.de/Klappkameras/con...t_E_Messer.jpg

And this is the german manual for the Watameter:
    http://www.corff.de/Klappkameras/con...meter_II_1.jpg
    http://www.corff.de/Klappkameras/con...meter_II_2.jpg

Differences are in the meter scale (internal (in the viewfiner, II, Super) or external (I, Blik), the ranges (the "Super" has two ranges for close and distant measurings), there even exists a Watameter with built in lightmeter.

They are helpful - but usually I guess the distance (with high hit quote) and apply hyperfocal focussing.
    Tschüss,
    Roman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Watameter was excellent. And you can find those quite cheap nowadays.... I saw on @auction site for around $10
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Honestly, those vintage cameras from the 50s and 60s can be really nice and fun to play with. I had an old Voigtlander Bessa that was a great little camera for a while. The lens quality on those old cameras is very nice in many cases.
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well, I developed my negatives and all I can say is "WOW". I am going to make some 8x10's today and see how sharp I was able to get it. Negatives look really nice though. I used the Sunny16 rule.

This will be my new "pocket cam".

Oh, the looks I got when I opened the 40+ year old leather case to take some pictures with NO LCD on the back! :o :o :o

:rolleyes:
    David Savkovic

My home page

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by g0tr00t
    Oh, the looks I got when I opened the 40+ year old leather case to take some pictures with NO LCD on the back! :o :o :o
    :rolleyes:
    A while ago I had the idea to print out a sticker for the purpose to use it as a stealth - a fake TFT placed on the back of a camera with adhesive tape, to blend myself with crowd of other "point and shooters" out there... "look, I am cool and digital!".

;-)
    Tschüss,
    Roman

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin