Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,856   Online: 769

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Overlapping frames on Canonet G-III QL/17

My G-III QL/17 seems to have a problem with its film advance. Occasionally, frames overlap; on a roll I just processed, frames 3 and 4, 5 and 6, and 8-10 all overlap one another. Any idea what might be the culprit? I don't know the details on the quick-load system, but it seems that it may be slipping a bit early in a roll? If so, is this something that can be easily fixed by tensioning something?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You always want to turn the rewind spool a bit before you take a series of images and make sure it taught so you won't have really close frames. Helps a lot when cutting them. Try this next time. Another culprit may be the gearing, a previous repair job might have mixed up the mechanism. I have heard of specially modded full frame cameras that have their gearing replaced to give half frame spacing (with appropriate film mask in place). The konica autoreflex does this on the fly with a flick of a switch.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My two Canon QL17 GIII cameras also have uneven frame spacing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The little rubber pads of the quick-load system have a tendency to slip as they age. What we used to do was to gently roughen the surfaces up a little bit with a hard typewriter eraser.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    35mm
    I use tape to be sure and secure. - David Lyga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    The little rubber pads of the quick-load system have a tendency to slip as they age. What we used to do was to gently roughen the surfaces up a little bit with a hard typewriter eraser.
    What's a "typewriter"???

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So the answer seems to be loosening the tension of the spool. My overlapping frames are gone.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin