Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,936   Posts: 1,585,621   Online: 748

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: early Canon RF

Shooter
    35mm

early Canon RF

I just bought an early Canon RF that has NO model number on it. It came with 1.9/50mm and 4/100mm Serenar lenses, all perfect glass and mechanics. The body is a question, however. The slow speeds (which do not work except for 1 sec and 1/2 sec) are as follows: 1/25, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 1, T. Which model is this and is there a value you can suggest? The body is in excellent cosmetic condition and its faster speeds: 1/25 through 1/1000 work fine. Thanks. Paid $30 for all! - David Lyga

Shooter
    35mm
    Oh yes, I forgot to say that the slow speed knob is on the front, to the upper left of the lens mount and that film advance is via a round knob on top. - David Lyga

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just Google: early canon rangefinder cameras

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Give us the serial number and I can tell you what model you have. Also point you toward some websites for more info.

Jim B.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Check here too... http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/c...1933-1955.html

I'd love to get a Canon P or 7.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Does it have a rail on the left side for the proprietary flash gun? If so, I would guess it;s a IVs2.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    35mm
    Sorry for the delay with my response but Hurricane Irene did some damage to some photo equipment I had stored. Such is life.

First, MACKINAW: the serial numbers are as follows: RF body: 55297, 1.9/50mm Serenar: 47219, 4/100 Serenar: 46706.

Now, Anscojohn: there is an accessory shoe on the top of the camera. The body looks like an old FED and the back does not swing open but, instead, film must be loaded from the bottom. - David Lyga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry to hear about Hurricane Irene.

A serial number of 55297 means you have either a Canon IIC, III or IV. These are basically the same camera with just minor differences separating the three. By looking at the Canon Museum website, you can probably narrow it down to the camera you own.

As for the lenses, see Peter Kitchingman's Canon Rangefinder website for more info:

http://www.canonrangefinder.servehttp.com/

Jim B.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you for the info, Jim. When I have the opportunity I will research this. - David Lyga

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    I just bought an early Canon RF that has NO model number on it. It came with 1.9/50mm and 4/100mm Serenar lenses, all perfect glass and mechanics. The body is a question, however. The slow speeds (which do not work except for 1 sec and 1/2 sec) are as follows: 1/25, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 1, T. Which model is this and is there a value you can suggest? The body is in excellent cosmetic condition and its faster speeds: 1/25 through 1/1000 work fine. Thanks. Paid $30 for all! - David Lyga
    Like to know where yoy shop!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin