Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,194   Online: 695

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

I have a mint Nikon S2 with the 5cm 1.4 lens, should I sell it and get a Leica M3?

I am not sure, I really like my Nikon S2, but a friend of mine is tempting me with his Leica M3. Should I sell my S2 and get the M3?
    Advise me, please.
    Thanks in advance.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    I traded my S2 with the same lens for a Leica MP. I never looked back. The Leica viewfinder is much better, the focusing is much faster and you can get a wide range of excellent lenses. The same holds for the M3, of course. Therefore, yes, I would trade. Others certainly will disagree.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi, I own them both and the s2 is nice but not leica nice... Just prepare for leica lens prices to go along with it. Both great cameras... Can't really go wrong. One note on the m3 Make sure the rangefinder patch is very visible with good contrast to the second image. These had a recurring issue with and if the second image goes too dim to use the camera is really finished. Do a good evaluate first and enjoy. Thx bg

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Why?

Do you shot with an SLR too? I ask because I switched from Leicas to Nikon rangefinders. For me it made a world of difference to me. I did switch from a S2 to an S3 but in hind sight I could have stayed with the S2 just as well. The handling of the F is the same as an S3 (the S2 is very close). The lenses focus and the F-Stop moves the same directions.

For me the perfect film kit would be an S2 or S3 with a Nikkor 50/1.4, a CV 25/4 and a F with a 105/2.5 and a 300/4.5 ed-if. Perhaps a CV 15/4.5 and a 55/3.5 if I want to travel heavy.

I owned several Leica kit with Leica glass as well as a lot of other bodies and glass. I am able to focus the Nikon just as well as the Leicas.

Yes if you have deep pockets there is some world class glass and accessories for a Leica, but for me I love the way Nikkors paint light. I love not having to think what camera an I bringing to my face to shoot with. You see I adjust focus or f-stop as I bring a camera to my eye.

There is one thing you might want think about is the fact that the Nikon has a 1:1 viewfinder that allows you to shoot and compose with both eyes open. No Leica can do that.

For me Nikon was a much better choice though YMMV.

B2

Shooter
    35mm RF
    One other thing, Nikons almost never need a CLA to get shutter speed on the mark.

B2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BillBingham2 View Post
    One other thing, Nikons almost never need a CLA to get shutter speed on the mark.
    Really? Tell that to my Nikon M who needed a major CLA to make the shutter speeds right.

Jim B.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    For a productive photographer, better a well-used workhorse M3 than a mint S2 that should handled very carefully. For sitting on a shelf and looking pretty, a mint S2 would be fine.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    For a productive photographer, better a well-used workhorse M3 than a mint S2 that should handled very carefully. For sitting on a shelf and looking pretty, a mint S2 would be fine.
    The OP stated that he had an S2 and was wondering if he should move to an M3.

OP, down load the M3 manual from the web and look at loading film. Even my old M4-P with it's fast loading take up spool (FOR ME) was not as fast loading as my S2.

Aspheric Leica glass and ZM glass is great if you have the cash. New CV glass for it speed and price is wonderful. Can't get them for the S2 but they fit the M3. Early CV glass is mostly still available new or in great shape at reasonable prices for the S2 as well as the M3.

The M3 does have a single shutter speed dial which is faster. Some people find the M3 rangefinder easier to focus with.

You can get Nikkors in LTM to use on an M3, I had a few and they were great.

Both will serve you and your children well for many years.

B2

Both will serve you well for many years.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BillBingham2 View Post

There is one thing you might want think about is the fact that the Nikon has a 1:1 viewfinder that allows you to shoot and compose with both eyes open. No Leica can do that.
    -IMHO the .91 viewfinder magnification on the M3 is close enough, at least once you get used to it. I compose & shoot using the M3 with both eyes open; no problem.

Maybe the more recent .85 will do, too. (I've never handled one, so I wouldn't know.)

.72 definitely is impossible to use with both eyes open for me, at least.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The S2 is a very nice camera - I've always liked them.

I have never owned an S2, but I do own a Leica MP (2003 model) and I can't imagine any other brand of rangefinder being anywhere to even close to it. In my experience, there's simply nothing like an MP - it blows all the rest away.

If it were me and I could sell the S2 and get a Leica MP as a result, I would do it. Just be careful about selling or trading - make sure you get a price out of the S2 that is fair - to you.

JMHO.
    Last edited by lensworker; 10-09-2011 at 01:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "My idea of a good life is that I wake up in the morning, go out and look around and make four rolls of film a day." - Josef Koudelka

"There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are." - Ernst Haas

"Nothing happens when you sit at home. I always make it a point to carry a camera with me at all times…I just shoot at what interests me at that moment." – Elliott Erwitt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin