Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,772   Posts: 1,516,548   Online: 948

Shooter
    35mm

Nikon S2 Rangefinder focusing question?

I am killing my index finger with the focusing wheel. Is it ok to focus with the lens ring itself? Could I damage anything?
    Thanks in advance.

Shooter
    35mm
    No problem focusing with the lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    According to "The Nikon Manual" you should be using the three finger maneuver. Thumb on film advance, index on shutter and middle for focusing, NOT.

My S2 is easy enough to focus with the wheel but you can use the focus ring if you wish just make sure that you have the infinity lock off when you do or you could break something.

As far as the recommended three finger approach, I don't use it.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    35mm
    LOL The "Contax" grip. Hate it!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dan,

What lens are you focusing? Too heavy a lens will do a number on you finger.

I love the three finger grip. Out allows me to focus a 50 or wider, fire the release and wind with one hand while I have an off camera flash on the other. So much faster than with Ms and a 'Cron or CV lens.

Index finger for shutter, thumb for wind, and middle finger for focus. Much better leverage IMHO.

B2

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, in fairness, I am shooting a Kiev 4A with a Jupiter 8 which I imagine is not nearly as smooth as a Nikon rangefinder at focusing. I have tried the Contax grip and am not a fan. I prefer focusing with my left hand which is what I have to do with all my other rangefinders and SLRs anyway.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin