Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,456   Posts: 1,570,576   Online: 905

Shooter
    Large Format

info and experience with fed cameras?

I was walking down the lomo asile of my local bookstore and a new camera caught my eye. One that i havent seen before.
    It is made in singapore and its design is taken from the fed 5b.
    Red army camera.

Would you consider this a toy camera?
    Assuming aperture and shutter values are spot on, great cheap camera.
    Experiences?
    Ligt leaks?
    Shutter accuracy?

Because i first saw this in the toy camera asile, all these red flags are popping out. But it seems as if these cameras are serious and affordable.

Educate me please.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    What is "lomo asile"?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Interesting. Are copies of FED 5 produced in Singapore?

I own a FED 3 that serves me well after I have learned about its quirks. It doesn't deliver the highest possible quality, but it's a lot of fun.

Here are some results:
    http://erikpetersson.livejournal.com/25710.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    From a quick google, I think these are actual FED-5s that are refurbished and redecorated by Red Army Camera.

The pros and cons of FEDs are reasonably well known, but it seems like the premium you pay for the Red Army versions is kind of extreme (they list them online for $200 and up; even if that's in S$, it's still high compared to the "usual suspects" like Fedka.

That said, certainly not a "toy" camera by any standard; these are perfectly reasonable rangefinders, albeit lower-tech and with spottier quality control than we're used to in modern cameras. Many of the Soviet lenses are decent, and they will of course mount the whole population of M39 lenses. (Opinions vary on whether there are slight differences in the focusing between Leicas and fSU cameras---reputable people have done experiments and drawn mixed conclusions, so it's probably safest to assume that focussing with non-Soviet lenses may be imperfect.)

I'd look to one of the reputable Soviet-camera dealers instead, I think.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin