Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,691   Posts: 1,548,910   Online: 878

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

What do I have here??

Hello All,
    Came with a group of camera equipment and not sure how to use it. Do I look through the smaller opening or the larger cone end?
    Does the finder have much worth? I am thinking of selling and not sure what to ask $$ for.
    Thanks for all the help.
    Arthur
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0004.JPG   IMG_0005.JPG  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey Arthur,
    It may be a "VIDOM"
    http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...a-Finder_A.htm

scroll down to a model that is similar to yours

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know what it's called but I think it's an accessory rangefinder that goes on top of a camera that does not have its own built-in rangefinder.

You slip it into the cold shoe on top of the camera such that the numbers on the scale would be right side up from the photographer's perspective. You look through and adjust until the device shows that the image is in focus then you read the number off the scale and set the lens to that distance.

I've got similar devices somewhere in the boxes full of camera stuff I inherited from my father-in-law but they aren't exactly the same so I can't be sure. I'm only guessing from experience with the stuff I've got here.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks for the help.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    I don't know what it's called but I think it's an accessory rangefinder
    An adjustable viewfinder, not a rangefinder!

The engraved numeral are the lens focal lengths (in cm) which can be set.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That makes sense. I have a couple of devices that are similar but I haven't been able to find out much about them. I don't know if they match to a specific camera in the collection so I can only speculate on what their exact function is and how to operate them.

The next time I play with my toys I'll get them out and take a closer look at them.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I agree with Bruce. For value, check completed ebay auctions for Leica VIDOM. Condition is important in collectable items. Therefore, prices vary widely. What appears to be good condition to many of us is a dog to some collectors. Also, these old VIDOMs sometimes have functional problems. An ad should describe any flaws. If you can't thoroughly check out the item, say so. Include plenty of quality photos.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Keep it and use it as an excuse to get a Leica body and some lenses. I mean what good is it without the rest of the system. At least that is what you can tell you spouse.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    True. It was part of a FED 2 collection on eBay. Weird to find with a russian camera. Considering I got the camera body, a newer Jupiter-8, 12 and 11 as well as a collapsable 50mm and and one other 50mm all for under $50 I am in no rush to get rid of it.
    Thanks for all the help.
    Arthur

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
    Keep it and use it as an excuse to get a Leica body and some lenses. I mean what good is it without the rest of the system. At least that is what you can tell you spouse.
    Sound strategy for any married guy to adhere to: innocent and devious at the same time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin