Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,666   Posts: 1,481,704   Online: 733

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Shooter
    Multi Format

Try an Olympus XA W A-16 Flash.

Quote Originally Posted by BryceEsquerre View Post
    Well the title says it all. I dabbled with 35 mm and medium format 3 or 4 years ago for fun, now i'm in college and i'm taking a b&w 35mm class, and i love my f4 (that i bought for the class), however, i've always been rather interested in rangefinders. i would love a compact one that i can carry around the city with me and barely notice it. I've also hear they are awesome for candid shots and quick focusing. If anyone can make me some reccomendations, i would greatly appreciate it.
    As I've recently just learned, that the image quality,
    or the ease of use, or advanced features aren't the
    highest priority, but the price is the ONLY THING
    THAT MATTERS, here's what I would suggest,
    since this camera has been mentioned, but not
    elaborated on.

Look for an Olympus XA with an A-16 flash.

This camera is:

Aperture Priority, with a Manually set ISO, with a
    +1.5 exposure Backlight switch,

By having a manually set ISO, you can compensate
    for B&W & Color Negative mislabeled ISO's.
    DX won't allow you to do this,

Featuring a 35 mm 6 element, ( planar type ),
    f 2.8 lens, the lens can deliver 11 x 14's,
    ( I've done it ),

A slightly powerful flash with a Leaf Shutter which
    will synch up to the maximum 1/500th sec shutter
    speed, of the camera,

While the A-16 flash takes only 2 AA batteries, but
    if you use Lithiums it's O.K., but just don't keep
    the batteries in the flash, when you're not using it,

Also, the flash only has settings for ISO 100 & 400,
    but this can be worked around & is not significant,

Completely Manual RF split image focusing but with
    a Hyperfocal Focus Setting at f 5.6 @ 5 ft,
    when it's needed, ( and it works, I can tell you ),

By size will fit in a Large Cell Phone Holster.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Konica Auto S2. I have a couple of them in working order for sale :-) but besides, it's a good camera with excellent lens. It's a bit big and heavy though.
    (I also have some parts only as well... time to clean up my storage)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh, another thing. I dunno if you can find one for $125 but I also have Olympus 35RC somewhere. It's not a bad camera, very compact for the design, but the optics is not as good as Konica Auto S2. Many small size rangefinders used tessar type optics.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I recommend the Canon QL17 Giii 35mm rangefinder with 40mm lens or the Minolta Hi-Matic 9 35mm rangefinder with 45mm lens.

Both are great for street shooting because they are small, quiet, unobtrusive, and capable of producing high-quality images. Neither needs batteries for operation.

Batteries are only needed for the built-in light meter.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11336821@N00/5227629588/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Range Finders 018b sml.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    If you're really looking for unobtrusive, then it would be an XA. Although it has a rangefinder, it is hardly needed with the 35mm lens. The 35RC has both a shutter priority and a manual setting, and is proported to be the smallest full feature rangefinder of the chrome age (Cameraquest's opinion). Adapters for the mercury cell are readily available or use a zinc air hearing aid. The 35SP in a legend, with too many avantages to list here. See this great write-up about it.

http://www.ph.utexas.edu/~yue/misc/35SP.html

You might get it for $125 at that auction site.

Shooter
    35mm RF

$125.00 Rangefinder

One of my favorites is a Canon P. 125.+shipping maybe a year and a half ago. The M-39 lens mount opens you up to some wonderful glass. If a fixed lens is what you perfer others have already covered those options.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The Konica C35 Automatic is a nice little camera or its clone, the Vivitar 35CA. They use trap-needle programmed autoexposure, which gets things correct most of the time. They have a rangefinder, and they're small and unobtrusive.

I use the zinc-air hearing batteries, which work fine. You can buy 10- or 12-packs for $10 or less, and that gives you enough power for several years.

The Olympus 35RC also is a nice choice with the added advantage of manual settings.

On the German side is the Rollei XF 35 and its Voigtlander stablemate, the VF135. The Rollei has a Sonnar lens, while the Voigtlander has the same lens, which is badged as a Skoparex.

If you don't need a meter and don't mine the weight, the Kodak Retina IIa is highly recommended, while the knob wind Retina II also will do the job.

I like the Konica I, II and III series and particularly the II. There are also of plenty of other offerings from Zeiss Ikon, Voigtlander, Yashica, Canon, Minolta, Petri, Balda, etc., etc.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin