Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,754   Posts: 1,515,949   Online: 963

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

old rangefinders

I recently bought a couple range finders. I found some basic info on the internet, but need a little more. One is a Clarus MS35. It still had film in it so I'm assuming it works. I would like to shoot a roll of film through it but don't have a clue on how to set it. The other is a Ricolet II I think it might not be in working order, because there is a little vane in the viewfinder that doesn't seem to turn when you turn the focus wheel. There is also a wheel that won't turn. The wheel has a pin on it and it doesn't move. I think it's for the film speed. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    clarus ms 35
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails clarusa9.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    ricolet II
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ricolett2.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    May be you need a old repairman , is there any Arizona repairmen around this guy ?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Ricolet sort of reminds me of a Kodak with that wheel. The Clarius looks like a nice camera. You may need to experiement as back then when it looks like this camera was made, the speed had to be set before the film advanced and shutter set.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Your best bet would be to sell both on ebay for whatever collectible value they may have. The Clarus almost certainly doesn't (or soon won't) work and the Ricoh has small odds of working. Neither is repairable unless you want to do the job yourself. If they are made to work the picture quality will be poor.

If you are looking for an old rangefinder you will be happier with a working Yashica Electro, Minolta Hi-Matic, Canon Canonnet and the like. Some of these require battery adapters or Wein cells as the original mercury battery is no longer available.

Only buy a camera in known working condition, from someone who knows cameras, and will take it back if it turns out it doesn't work - say on APUG's classified section. Stay away from ebay cameras that are described as: "I pressed the button and it clicked so I know it works"; "I don't have a battery so I couldn't test it"; "I don't know anything about cameras, but I am sure that you will be pleased with it" and anything else that even hints that something might be wrong.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the help guys. I only paid $10 each for these. I think I'll take the Ricoh apart, to see what makes it tick. The Clarus is the older of the two. It was built from 1946 to 1952. The Ricoh os from 1953 I think.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Kokopelli ,

You dont need to invent the wheel again , best rangefinder is Leica and Leica Mini Zoom Elmar 35-70 is 60 dollars at keh.com. I dont believe any other japanese camera can compete with it. Use 400 ASA film at winter and you will be the happiest person , these cameras were 500 dollars at 96 and it deserves every cent of your 60 dollars. Its autofocus , autowind , viewfinder change with the zoom.
    In 15 minutes , I will PM two examples from Gallery and you will believe with your eyes.

Check your PM , PM is at the right top corner and appears a warning saying you have a message.
    You must refresh your APUG page every five minutes so you will not miss it. I will report here , I sent it.

Umut

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    pm sent

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Mustafa, do you have these cameras and have you put them through their paces? If not how can you judge them? As for repair, these cameras are typically fairly simple and any competent repair person should be aboe to assess them and get them running if needing cla. As for Leica being the best rangefinder, even though I am a Leica lover and user, I can not say it it the best. It may be the better for those with interchangeable lenses but then many Contax users would still dispute it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin