Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,886   Online: 984

Shooter
    35mm

canonet ql17 quandary

I just picked up a canonet ql17 G-III from ebay. My first rangefinder. I put a brand new battery in it that is supposed to be for this camera, but when I push the battery light button nothing lights up. And the metering needle inside doesn't move out of its position just below 5.6. (Not to mention it needs new seals ... BAD). I know the shutters are mechanical and seem OK. How can I verify if this camera has electrical problems (maybe the bulb is out and maybe I just don't understand how the meter needle is supposed to work, or maybe the battery is the problem) and if so what can be done?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What exact battery did you put in it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Make sure that the aperture dial is set to "A". If you set the aperture to some value (say, f2.8), you are in manual mode and the meter shuts off. The light should still light, though.

This is handy for preserving battery power when you aren't using the camera, by the way.

Obvious suggestion--be sure the battery isn't upside down.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    try cleaning the contacts with a q-tip and a touch of vinegar.
    what battery did you put in? sure it's a fresh one?

mm

Shooter
    35mm
    the battery is a "Wein cell 1.35 mercury replacement battery" it says it replaces pX625 and PX13. I just bought it and it's just out the package.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'll try cleaning it. It's really not possible to put this battery in the wrong way. It's a pretty odd shape.

Shooter
    35mm
    Got it in A and situation is the same. My digital battery checker isn't able to get a reading off it, but that may be because it's an odd battery. I just noticed on the battery packaging it says to remove the plastic tab off the battery at least 30 minutes prior to use, which, of course, I didn't do.

Shooter
    35mm
    I mean, I removed the tab of course, but who thinks to wait 30 minutes.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    One thing that might make things a bit easier:

I've been shooting a Canonet q17 now for about 10 yrs using 625A batteries. If the meter is off, it's not enough to make any difference I can see on color print or b/w film. Plus, 625A's are a lot cheaper and less fussy than Wein cells.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin