Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,032   Online: 1166

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Minolta Hi-Matic 7s2

A Friend of mine has a Minolta Hi-Matic 7s2. After years of non use, it came out of the closet. The light meter didn't work, so she changed the battery. It still does not.

Any suggestions?

If it does have to go into the shop, is there one in Montreal that can handle it? If not, where?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Has she tried cleaning the contacts? Sometimes a bit of corrosion will prevent the battery from making contact.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Large Format
    What is she using for the cell?

The Hi-Matic was designed for the 1.35-volt Eveready EXP 675 mercury cell.

Whatever replacement she uses should be tested with a small-cell tester, such as sold by Radio Shack, to place the proper load on the cell and verify it’s up to the job.

Some folks have used zinc-air hearing-aid cells, but the fit is wrong. The cell needs to be wrapped with an O-ring to keep the smaller diameter cell centered in the chamber so that the ends make proper contact with the camera’s contacts.

Conceivably, if an undersized replacement cell were placed into the chamber without something to center it, the end might fail to make contact or even bridge the center and outside across the conductor, creating a short circuit to the cell. That would kill the cell quickly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have not actually seen the camera yet. She is bringing it to our local camera club tonight. I am 'known' to be the only idiot still using film, so I get found.... I must therefore be expected to know everything.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My 7s metered well on a 1.5V alkaline cell; others have reported that it shouldn't have, but I've got the slides to prove it. There might be an unexpected bridge circuit in there to compensate for voltage differences---if so, I'd expect the newer 7sII to have one as well. (If not, maybe I just got unreasonably lucky over the period I had that camera?)

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Oftentimes the mercury batteries leak through the battery compartment and sever the contact to the battery terminal. It might need to be opened up and re-soldered.

But before going that route, let's hope it is what Nathan suggests in the 1st reply above. I believe some suggest cleaning the contacts w vinegar, google the Yashica Guy and see his Linx repair pics for some visual of what might have occurred. Although a different camera, same idea though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
    Oftentimes the mercury batteries leak through the battery compartment and sever the contact to the battery terminal.
    Corroded - and broken - solder joints can be considered a disease of Minolta rangefinders of that era. Both of the HiMatics I have fixed needed rewiring. It's wasn't just corrosion at the solder joints but the wires had rotted inside their insulation jackets.
    Last edited by Nicholas Lindan; 10-03-2011 at 02:38 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I saw the camera tonight; looked new.....

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Were you able to take it home? I saw a very MINT one the other day, but it was dead, no corrosion or anything that I could see. I put one of those special made batteries in it and it still didnt work, I suspect what Nicolas describes below was its fate

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    Corroded - and broken - solder joints can be considered a disease of Minolta rangefinders of that era. Both of the HiMatics I have fixed needed rewiring. It's wasn't just corrosion at the solder joints but the wires had rotted inside their insulation jackets.
    What will you do re this sick camera? You know we expect you to bring it back to life now that you pointed out a suffering camera exists!? I feel no "moral" crisis leaving the Minolta I saw because it was way too expensive to save....

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Well, the camera does work wonderfully without the meter too...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin