Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,326   Online: 738

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RF beginner

Shooter
    35mm RF

RF beginner

Hi guys,

Some time ago, I became interested in photography. I was looking for a nice starting camera, until I discovered the FR cameras. I searched in forums about them, and been looking for a good deal on ebay.

I can't comment about quality image because I'm just a beginner but concerning to design, my favourite was the yashica electro 35 GSN. She's such a beauty.

My budget is a little bit tight. For now I the limit is about 80-100$. I would like to buy a camera that was easy to handle, to gain experience and learn.
    I have another major problem that is giving me an hard time and may delay my purchase. I live in Portugal, so it's even more complicated to find the "deal".

Said that, I wanted to ask you for some advices and recommendations for my first RF camera.

Thanks,
    Bruno Ferreira.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Let me suggest checking at rangefinderforum.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Just get a Russian LTM screw mount camera (I ordered one from a seller in Russia via e-bay and the transaction was fast)
    You will likely find like I did that a rangefinder is fun to use... but they INVENTED and PERFECTED the dang SLR for a REASON.
    Now all you kind and talented rangefinder users need not take offense... I feel a similar way about TLR's!!
    Perhaps you will love it! I did have an EPSON Rd-1 for a reason.. I LOVED the size, you can carry a rangefinder system around in your pockets!!
    Although you can do the same with an Olympus OM kit too if you stay away from large aperture lenses and wear baggier pants.
    Anyway spend $150 on a Fed 3 o 4 or get a Canonett QL-17 (had one of those too... it was nicer than the Russian thing... but just isn't the same).
    Cheers... to all.

Doesn't the economy stink across the Globe? I would check the local Porticagal pawn shop... heck you might score a Leica for quarters on the dollar compared to 3 years ago...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Why not go with the Yashica. Part of enjoying a camera and its functions is imparted by the physical relationship of the person to the camera itself. If the camera does look beautiful or right to the person, there is an inherent block to loving it from the outset that will translate to not liking it in use. No different than a car. Few will buy a car that is not visually appealing regardless of if it does what the person wants.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Get what is easy and have fun! I shoot a Yashica Lynx 14E, a similar version to the Electro, and love it.

Give this blog article a read, I think you will find the Yashica right up your alley and for possibly a few dollars?
    http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2011/0...icky-opaterny/

Now if Russian cameras are easier to come by in your region, sure they will work just as brilliantly as Vpwphoto mentions, RF is quite fun, but if it is not working correct a CLA might be in order?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Bruno, I have a couple of GSNs. They are fun little cameras. The only thing that will take the fun and amazement out of it will be a dim rangefinder. You will have two options, a CLA which will no doubt cost more than the camera or two, get a different camera (which, unless you can physically try it will have a dim rangefinder too). If you are serious about this, find out how dim your rangefinder is. If you can manage with it, good for you and have fun, just realize a CLA will be in order for it some time in the future.

So far I have had two rangefinders CLA'ed. In both cases the cost of CLA was more than the physical value of the camera........what I got back was a camera that for me is priceless. I can now use both of them confidently and my film comes out beautiful, and it was 10 times easier to use the camera. For me, it was worth the cost and I now feel ANY rangefinder I purchase will first go and get a CLA before I use it. Honestly, the difference using the viewfinder after a cleaning/CLA is significant for anyone with limited vision or over 40 (and I don't wear glasses either).

Oh, and don't stick to color film with that GSN, you won't believe the character you get from B&W film from that camera........you'll see.

Bob E.
    Nikon F5, Nikon F4S, Nikon FA, Nikon FE, Nikon N90, Nikon N80, Nikon N75, Mamiya 645 Pro, Mamiya Press Super 23, Yashica Lynx 14e, Yashica Electro GSN, Yashica 124G, Yashica D

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hi,

Thank you for all the replies. I guess I'll stick with the yashica gsn plan. I really like her.
    I will try to find a good deal, even if it takes a little longer to get the camera. I guess it's better than buy other and wish to have the yashica.

I want to have fun with the camera, learn a bit about taking photos, and spend a good time.

If someone finds a good deal, let me know about it.

Bruno Ferreira

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The only problem with some of Yashica models is finding a battery for it.

Jeff

X. Phot.
    For a beginner's camera with rangefinder focusing I would recommend the Argus C3, A true classic. Buy two or three just in case.

http://www.mattdentonphoto.com/cameras/argus_c3.html
    http://www.cameramanuals.org/argus/argus_c-3.pdf
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellenjo...7602144626963/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi trueface. With regard to what Jeff said about batteries for the Yashica, I have an Electro GSN myself (and love it) and had no trouble getting a handful of 4LR44 6volt batteries off eBay for less than $5. You can buy an adapter to make them fit correctly in the Yashica but you really don't need one. I just wrapped some foil around a screw to fill the space and it works/metres perfectly without any dramas.
    If you do get the GSN and have trouble getting batteries, give me a yell and I'll post a couple over to you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin