Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,491   Posts: 1,542,956   Online: 882

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Jammed Shutter on a Leica M3 DS.

I was exercising the shutter on my Leica M3 DS this morning and she jammed. It was overhauled by Jerry Smith at Kindermann over a year ago to the mechanicals are in decent shape.

The big question, is this a big fix? More importantly, an expensive one?

Bill
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bill View Post
    I was exercising the shutter on my Leica M3 DS this morning and she jammed. It was overhauled by Jerry Smith at Kindermann over a year ago to the mechanicals are in decent shape.

The big question, is this a big fix? More importantly, an expensive one?

Bill
    Tough break. You might try this guy if you're not liking Kindermann:

http://harrysproshop.com/Yau/yau.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Tough break. You might try this guy if you're not liking Kindermann:

http://harrysproshop.com/Yau/yau.html
    I have no gripes with Kindermann, other I live in Oakville and it's up in Markham. I rather have Mr. Smith (no relation alas) work on it.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have no gripes with Kindermann, other I live in Oakville and it's up in Markham. I rather have Mr. Smith (no relation alas) work on it.
    Your call. Yau might be cheaper/faster than Kindermann. He's no slouch.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yau is pretty much the same distance for me. Besides Jerry worked on my Rolleiflex and a bunch of my brother's Leicas so there's some goodwill built up.
    Ferris Bueller

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yau is pretty much the same distance for me. Besides Jerry worked on my Rolleiflex and a bunch of my brother's Leicas so there's some goodwill built up.
    No worries. Hopefully it wasn't something he overlooked. Here's hoping for a cheap/minor fix.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For giggles, take a close look at the film aperture. Both from front and back. They have a velvet light trap that the glue dries out on and will cause a jam.
    If you can see the velvet it can be removed, Carefully! but the camera will likely fog film.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Film chips can get in the shutter tracks. Never try to get extra frames.

DS mechanisms can go as they are getting old. Ribbons may pull off the shutter. None of this is predictable so do not blame Kinderman.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Another common problem is that the shutter curtain pulls out of the lathe. If the shutter is stuck open, this might be the cause.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Likely the cause: the M3 DS has an intermediate gear that is held down by a bent washer. The washer makes the first stroke 'stick' before the second stroke can be set in. The gear jams when the first stroke is complete, is released again for further progress when the second stroke is set in.

The gear is brass and I have seen three M3 DS's that had a tooth (or teeth) broken off the gear because on the end of the first stroke it jams on the teeth. The gear has to take too much stress if the first strokes are forceful and over time a tooth can break off.

Don Goldberg has the correct gear, but getting it in just right requires either a skilled tech or lotsa time. I never got it right on my first try, spent four hours figuring out correct assembly on my second... I heard from a fellow M3 DS owner that KEH's technical department eventually sent his M3 DS to Sherry Krauter at Golden Touch. A tech has to line up both connecting gears just correct before putting in the intermediate gear, or it will never work correctly...

OP is some time ago but I still hope this will help somebody someday!

Cheers,
    Johan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin