Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,565   Posts: 1,545,320   Online: 881

Shooter
    Instant Films

is voigtlander still producing the 21mm F4

I have someone offering the LTM version of the 21mm F4 Voigtlander lens with the finder for $400. There is still a product page on b and h saying they have not been told by the manufacturer when they will receive more. The dilemma here is that if they are still producing this lens I'm just going to wait till b and h has it in... considering that it is the same price, new, with a warranty. Are they still making them? Does anyone have an opinion as to if the price will go up next time b and h has stock because of high demand? Should I ask for a slightly reduced price (I know that's not really how high quality lens dealing works). The reason I am having such a hard time with this is that I know for at least awhile I'm going to be able to find the 12 and 15mm lenses new from that camera quest guy on fleabay which I am planning on buying, but am wondering if I should get the 21mm first because it seems like prices are already on the rise on fleabay.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    CameraQuest's page says the LTM version is discontinued (sold out in black, still some silver ones in stock).

It is a real winner of a lens. To my taste it's about as wide as a "regular use" lens can be; someone who really had the eye for using superwides might disagree, but I never figured out what I would want a wider lens for except as a parlor trick. So my inclination is to say "grab the 21 while you can".

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the 12mm f 5.6 LTM. It is a great lens, no parlor trick lens.
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mhcfires View Post
    I have the 12mm f 5.6 LTM. It is a great lens, no parlor trick lens.
    Yeah, but you have that eye for superwides I was talking about. I'd just end up using it to take pictures of giant expanses of sky and ground with a little tiny subject lost in the middle somewhere!

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    Yeah, but you have that eye for superwides I was talking about. I'd just end up using it to take pictures of giant expanses of sky and ground with a little tiny subject lost in the middle somewhere!

-NT
    I couldn't do it without the supplied viewfinder. The lens is a great buy because it includes the viewfinder. My primary use is on my IIIa and occasionally IIIf, but I also use it on my M2 with the adapter. If you wish, I can let you use it and give it a real exercise. Just let me know.

m
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    35mm
    Bought mine used 18 months ago. Lovely little walking around lens. Used outdoors in moderate to good light leave it at f8 with focus index on f5.6 (DOF fudge factor) and it's a great snapshot lens. Don't even bother with the RF, just shoot. Detail and contrast leave nothing else to desire for my use.
    One little problem I do have is fumble finger smudges on the big front element of the viewfinder. But that is more my clumsy handling than a design flaw.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have been toying with the idea of getting the Voightlander 15mm for my Bessa R.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Another happy 21/4 user. Bought the LTM version used, hardly ever comes off my bessa, as said before, perfect wide lens.

I don't think the M mount version is optically any different either.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin