Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,728   Online: 983

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm with Leigh B. on this one. Close up/macro is just not one of a rangefinders strengths. If you often find you cannot get a small enough field size with your RF then the solution is a compact SLR. An Olympus OM-1 or 1n with a 50mm f3.5 Zuiko is the most compact solution and not too expensive, say $250 if you shop carefully. That lens will focus from infinity to one half life size. That is a field size of 2X3 in. at a working distance of about 6 in. from the lens.
    But what if you are talking about more modest reproduction ratios, say a field size of 8X12 inches. That range is possible with a RF camera and plus diopter lenses albeit with the problems of framing and focusing accuracy. With a +2 close up lens set on a 50mm lens focused to infinity the subject will be in focus at 20in. from the front of the lens with a field size of about 10X15in. If this example is about the range you are talking about then by measurement and estimating the framing and stopping down to f8 or smaller you should be able, with experience, to achieve the results you desire with a compact, minimal set up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pen s View Post
    measurement and estimating the framing
    You can build a wire frame that projects in front of the camera and delineates the image area and focusing distance.

Some examples of a macro frame for an underwater Nikonos [scroll to the bottom of the page]: http://photo.net/learn/underwater/uw2/Nikonos.html

A bit of cardboard that is the length of the front-of-lens to subject distance and the width of the covered area works well if the camera is on a tripod - I used one as a kid along with an Agfa Silette and a +3 closeup lens. Instructions are in the Kodak Photoguides.
    Last edited by Nicholas Lindan; 10-18-2011 at 11:50 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    35mm
    Can't always get what you want - I'd agree with pen s on an OM except I'd never pay $250 for one nowdays - there was an OM - 1 recently on CL here with several Zuiko lenses for under or right around $100.

Kinda sucks how little the film gear is worth, but good in the sense that you can get some stuff you always wanted for almost nothing.......

Bob

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin