Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,540   Posts: 1,544,287   Online: 802

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Close-focus/Macro on RFs & Lightweight tiny camera??

I bought Leica Z2X (point and shoot) to put in my bag for emergency camera use, but I was not impressed with it at all. I was hoping to put a RF in my bag in its place - but I am just now realising that it would also work badly for macro (yes, I'm slow ).

So, question. Is it even possible for a RF to take in-focus close up shots (1/2 metre away, or less)? About 1/2 of my out-and-about shots are framed up close. And if there are no suggestions RF-wise, any general cameras that could do the job and are pretty small?
    "You can struggle in the water and be too stubborn to die, or you can just let go and be lifted to the sky." -Bright Eyes

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Try a Minox with its chain. The bumps on the chain correspond to 8-inch, 10-in, 1-ft, 1 1/2 and 2 ft.

You get Macro focus and parallax correction. For greater distance you have to rely on scale focus.

Great for portraits. Touch the chain to your subject's nose and then drop it and shoot.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Without jumping through too many hoops, if you shoot an M-mount camera, you can look at the Leica 90 Macro or 50 Summicron dual range lens. The former is a current lens, the latter you will have to buy used. The 90 Macro focuses down to about .75 meters without the close focus attachment, and goes down to .5 meter with it. Not sure about the specs of the 50 Summicron dual range. There might be a couple of other options in older Leica lenses with focusing attachments (like the NOOKY-HESUM).

In addition to the above options, which actually give you RF coupled focusing, there are a number of lenses that let you focus down closer with no coupling. A lot of the wider Zeiss ZM lenses go down to .5 m, as do some of the Cosina lenses and other RF lenses. Again, no RF coupling below .7 m with these lenses.

As far as non M-mount, I don't really know. There might be some other options with other RF cameras. I might suggest a small manual focus SLR with a 50 macro if you want to shoot film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have heard of the Minox name, when I was looking up 110 cameras. I thought they only made 110 and smaller (spy) cameras. I do have some cartridges and some spooling supplies, but not sure if the image quality of such a small negative is worth it, and although they are cool little cameras, I would also only be able to spool black and white film which could be limiting. Were you thinking of a 110 Minox (or 8x11mm) or are there lesser known 35mm Minox out there?
    Last edited by lifted; 10-15-2011 at 01:15 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "You can struggle in the water and be too stubborn to die, or you can just let go and be lifted to the sky." -Bright Eyes

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some Kodak Retinas (and classic Voigtländers too, I believe) had close up kits.

That involved several diopter filters to be mounted in front of the lens and a sort of "rangefinder" to put in the accessory shoe which would give proper focusing and viewing.
    I actually have one for my IIa, but have never used it. It's supposed to work quite well.

The Olympus XA4 has a 28mm lens which goes quite close and has a knotted carrying strap for measuring close distances.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Yashica T4 focuses to 14 inches.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lifted View Post
    Were you thinking of a 110 Minox (or 8x11mm) or are there lesser known 35mm Minox out there?
    I was thinking the 8x11. There will be grain. But you can get close.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The problem with using an RF for macro work is framing.

That's the whole reason SLRs were invented.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Contax G1/G2. Definitely not for macro, but for ~a half meter or so it should be fine with most of the lenses. Stellar compact camera system with several exceptional lenses.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh B View Post
    The problem with using an RF for macro work is framing.

That's the whole reason SLRs were invented.

- Leigh
    Well, certainly the SLR "normal" lenses tend to focus closer than the RF counterparts. And a macro is a lot of fun on an SLR, I wouldn't think about it on an RF.

But the Minox solves that issue effectively with its parallax-corrected finder and simple chain with bumps that match the focusing scale arrangement. If the image quality puts you off, then it remains a novelty. But it works. And it's small.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin