Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,699   Posts: 1,549,146   Online: 1086

Shooter
    Multi Format

Mamiya 7 - 65mm lens - shutter almost silent! Is this normal?

I have just tried out my "new", second hand Mamiya 7 camera and am astonished how quiet the shutter mounted in my 65mm lens is, having used leaf shutters on large format cameras. It was so quiet this morning that I assumed the camera wasn't working, but when I looked at the lens whilst firing it it worked.
    Are all the lenses for this camera as quiet? If so, it would make an excellent documentary camera.
    The Thing

Portfolio

Film Cameras currently used:
    Large/Stort-format: Ebony 45SU (field camera), Medium/Medlem-format: Mamiya 7, Hasselblad 503CW
    35mm/Små format: Nikon: F4, D800 (yes digital, I know)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Yes, they are all that quiet. In fact, the 150mm is so quiet that I sometimes have to check the lever just to be certain that it actually took a shot. The 43mm and 80mm aren't that far off either and the 210mm is little louder, but barely above Leica levels for sure. I haven't tried being sneaky with it, but I think it would be most excellent. Congrats on the new system!
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Now you're wiser AND have a Cameron portrait of yourself! Aren't Mamiya 7s not cool?!? Probably the softest shutter sound except for some pocket 35mm cameras.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    The M7 lens shutters are coveted for their near silence and vibration free shooting, just one of many definitive reasons why these MF tools are in a class by themselves.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Totally normal, as others have said. Very quiet shutter, and you can hand hold it at 1/30th if you're still, and you won't get any shaky affects... of course, you might like them from time to time, too!!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    This is true. One of my best shots was taken handheld at 1/60, which for me is quite slow (cant seem to hold the camera still). Blew my socks off when I first enlarged it.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for all your replies. It's certainly a shock after some of my supposedly "quiet" shutters! Had I realised I'd have bought one YEARS ago!
    The Thing

Portfolio

Film Cameras currently used:
    Large/Stort-format: Ebony 45SU (field camera), Medium/Medlem-format: Mamiya 7, Hasselblad 503CW
    35mm/Små format: Nikon: F4, D800 (yes digital, I know)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin