Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,909   Posts: 1,521,569   Online: 797

Shooter
    Multi Format

Fed 5v with ektar 100 vs yashica gsn with ektar 100

I'm beginning to think I'm a little strange here. A new marshfront park opened here the other day and I took the gsn w/ ektar shot the roll and meh thought what's the fuss over ektar. Couple days later I decided to try ektar in the fed with a industar 61 l/d lens. Now I get it, in fact I am planning on using the fed a lot more and may even give up the gsn. the pentax 645 gives me a metered camera so I'm covered there. Guess i'm just suprized the fed gave me what i feel are better pictures sharper colors a bit more saturated but not overly so. In the gsn the ektar looked more like fuji superia 200.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have been told the 61 LD is a very good optic (one of the best "normal" ruskies) but I don't own one so I can't comment on color rendition.

How were these examples printed, scanned, processed?
    i assume you got them processed at the same time?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    One of my own favourite colour pictures was taken with a Fed-4 and Industar 61L/D. A mundane subject but the colours really popped in a way that was sharp and saturated without being over-saturated. They can be good lenses on the right body. I got rid of mine after testing it on a Leica III, several years before I discovered that a lot of FSU LTM lenses focus a bit off on non-FSU bodies. I've regretted it since.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Also, for what it's worth, I didn't rate the Yashica GTN I had, either. Although that was more about ergonomics than image quality, the image quality didn't impress either.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ektar seems to be kind of sensitive to lighting conditions. You didn't mention the conditions under which the two rolls were shot---is there any chance that you just hit the "sweet spot" for lighting on the second roll?

The I-61 L/D is *very* well thought of, certainly. Color rendition is so subjective that it's hard to quantify, of course, and you may just like the way one lens/film combination handles color and not the other.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bruce, both rolls were processed at a local walgreen's not the best maybe but convenient and the chemicals hadn't been changed and the same person ran both rolls through the minilab. Mcgratten I'm with you on the ergonomics thought maybe it was just me because the gsn is so well thought of. Nathan, the light could be part of it didn't know ektar was that fussy about light but I wouldn't think that ektar would render like fuji 200 with similar lighting.Guess I'll shoot the next ektar later in the day with the fed to compare that. My suprise was that there seemed to me to be a noticble difference that I really had not seen shooting other film in both.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had a Yashica Electro 35 that was stolen a few months back.

I have examples from that camera in my Flickr sets as well as from my Zorki C with collapsible Industar 50mm f3.5

I find that in colour the Industar really punches the colours and contrast in a Lomo LC-A like way.

I would have posted links but I have not posted enough yet on APUG.

You can go to Flickr and head over to slash - photos - slash - irvine_short

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin