Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,753   Posts: 1,483,910   Online: 1158

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Retina vs Konica Auto S2

Anyone have both of these cameras?

How would you compare the contrast of these lenses wide-open? I hear that the Retinas have a slight edge.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Which Retina?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the Konica Auto S2 which did good for me, but has it compared to the other, I don't know.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    I have an S2 as well...the Hexanon lens is sweeeet!
    If there's a Retina with a nicer lens then I want one...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Overall I'd probably give the edge to the Retina with the f2 Schneider lens. Bear in mind that you're dealing with cameras of two different eras (the earliest Retinas were built in the 1930s, the Konica S2 was in the 60s). The Retina was also a much higher-end camera than the S2 - they were meant to compete with Leicas and Zeiss Ikons and were priced accordingly when new. Today's pricing still indicates this difference- most S2s can be had for under $50. Retinas run from $100-300 or even more depending on condition, model and accessories.

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have both a Retina big C III and the Konica Auto S. The Retina is a great camera, the F 2 lens is very sharp wide open, stopped down to 5.6 or 8 really very good, somewhat diffcult to load, setting the frame counter is chore, the film advance and the coupled shutter speed and f stop take some getting use to. The 80mm and 35mm lens are a wast of money, very slow, hard to carry, takes time to swap out, and not all that sharp. The Retina was my first 35mm, my aunts bought it for me for a combo brithday and Xmas present while I was still in high school. While in College I moved up to a Spotmatic but carried the Retina as my spare body for years. Konica made some of the best lens I have ever used. For ease of use and a pocket camera my nod goes to the Konica.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why not collect all of them?

Between my Zorki C with Industar 50, little Pax Ruby, Kodak Retinette, Lomo-LC-A, Minolta Hi-Matic 11, Minolta A5 and heaven knows what else is in my cupboard of working 35mm non-SLR cameras there is something for every occasion.

Far more satisfying than lots of pairs of shoes and much cheaper too.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin