Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,968   Posts: 1,523,406   Online: 1118

Shooter
    35mm

35mm lens on Kiev 2

Just got a Jupiter 12 for my Kiev 2a and '61 4a. The lens focus is fine until I put it on the camera, then it's quite stiff especially at the closer range (1.5 m and less) I'm mounting it with the flange on the camera on inf. lock. Any ideas/advice? The lens was made in 1988 if that makes a difference. Thanks.............Bob

Shooter
    35mm RF
    do you have the 50mm lens? is it stiff also?
    maybe the internal focusing gears and helicals need relubing.
    my lens does that also, but after i clean and relube the internal gears and helicals it is very smooth.

Shooter
    35mm
    The 50 is fine, the 35 actually feels OK when I focus by hand, a bit stiff for the focusing wheel. Maybe because it's a newer lens? I just wanted to be sure I'm not doing something wrong....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've read where the focus wheel is really only good for the 50.
    That the teles are too heavy. I can't remember exactly where I read this atm, one of the myriad of sites where users are sharing their experiences.

My J12 (older chrome version) does similar to what you're seeing but behaves differently on different bodies so Dave's advice about stiff lube on the inner helical/wheel gears sounds like it could be the solution.

I've seen a tutorial somewhere on how to clean/lube the focussing.
    Start googleing and I bet you come up with something.

You could also ask over at the FSU forum on rangefinder site.
    http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...php?forumid=34

There's a Contax subforum there you might try also.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Russ's site has to be on the bookmark for every Kiev owner even if only for understanding how the camera works if you're not interested in doing your own work on the camera.
    Of course it could be only the so called dodgy quality control they say that plague the post 50s FSU gears. My J12 is from 89.
    When putting it on both the lens and body must be set at infinity. The wheel should spin even when you rotate the lens by hand.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks Dave and Bruce - sounds like it's just the nature of the beast, and I think I also read something about the focusing wheel being mostly for the 50. Still in the early learning stage on these Kievs, but I'm really getting into them.

BTW - still getting up the courage to clean the 4a, but I did manage to wrangle some samples of that Poron foam that Russ uses, 2 81/2x11 sheets, so if anyone wants some of it let me know.....

Cheers, Bob

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin