Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,478   Online: 962

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Holga
    Ok, well I might go for the Olympus 35RD and give it a try. Any recommendations on good quality film to use?

I'm also considering a Voigtlander R2A with a Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 lens, any feedback?

I'm on the hunt for a Minolta 7sII as well now!

Shooter
    35mm
    You don't really need an adapter for the Yashica. Stack one CR123 and two LR44s and that's all you need. Wrap a bit of tape around the outside edge of the LR44s so they don't slide around.

Shooter
    Holga
    Can anyone recommend a repair place in the UK? When I receive the Olympus I want to go and get it serviced.

Also looking at a Voigtlander R2 that a user on here is offering.....any lens recommendations? Want one for street photography oh and also it can't cost more than £500

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Where are you based?

"The Real Camera Company" on Dale Street in Manchester is a real Aladdin's Cave of a place when it comes to rangefinders (of most varieties) and lenses for Leica thread (LTM) and Leica bayonet lenses for the likes of the Voigtlander R series cameras.

You'll need to check what bright lines appear in the R2's viewfinder when selected. I think it's 35, 50, 75 and 90mm lenses but do make sure as there'd be no point buying (say) a 21mm or 28mm lens unless you also get a hot shoe viewfinder to go with it.

The other alternative is to look for something like a Minolta CLE. These are great little cameras and offer a relatively cheap route into rangefinder potography.

Being ever so slightly radical, you could also do worse than audition an Olympus OM1n (or OM2n). Yes, I know it's an SLR but it's only a tiny bit bigger than a Leica M6 but it's massively cheaper and has an exceptionally bright viewfinder with 100% coverage and a superb range of optional lenses. Unless it MUST be a rangefinder, the OM1n/2n are fantastic alternatives, very portable and can be the base for a great system if you choose to build one.
    Paul Jenkin (a late developer...)

Shooter
    Holga
    Thanks for the info, I hadn't seen the Minolta CLE before and I must say it looks like an amazing bit of kit but it does seem to be carrying a fairly high price tag.......well for me anyway at the moment (just had a baby).

Being so new to photography this forum has already been such a help, even if a little confusing with all these f numbers and framing options.

I think I'm still going to aim for a Voigtlander R2 with a 35mm lens. Unless there are any other ideas?

Also still interested if people think I should get that Olympus 35RD?

Shooter
    35mm
    This is a nice review for this class of cameras:

http://www.cameraquest.com/com35s.htm

If you want to use them seriously, take into account the need for a cleaning of viewfinder, and a realignment, maybe, of the rangefinder. That should be around another €40,00. Your mileage may vary.

A battery adapter is "needed" for some of those cameras if you intend to use them at their best possibilities. Using a modern battery without an adapter can give you some slight metering mistake, which is not a problem if you use negative film anyway. Understanding how a light meter meters is more important in getting good results. Use of a separate, external incident light meter is IMO always adviceable and gives best results when time is on your side.

As far as battery adapters are concerned, I suggest reading this, and maybe ordering an adapter from the maker:

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/batt_adapt_us.pdf

Regarding your purchase, I would focus more on the general state of the camera, and its price, than on a specific model.

I would like to add that the quick loading feature in the Canonet is a nice thing and I don't understand why this did not take more ground. When I change a film I have to sit somewhere and put the camera on my thighs as I need both hands to properly insert the lead in the receiving sprocket, the Canonet is the only camera I have allowing me to change film while standing. That's fast and secure.

Fabrizio
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Holga
    Does anyone know a good place in the UK I can have my Olympus 35RD serviced?

Also can anyone recommend a good website or book to teach a newbie the tips and tricks of using a rangefinder?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by infinitydreams View Post
    I've read the Olympus 35's all suffered from sticky issues, is this easy to fix if it happens?
    Not really true, it's mainly the RD that is severely plagued by this problem due to the design of its shutter. The rest of Oly's 35 rangefinders aren't known to commonly suffer from this problem (to any great extent like the RD at least).

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    When you refer to "get my Olympus 35RD serviced", does this mean you've actually bought it, or are you just thinking ahead?
    £100 for an RD sounds like top whack. I saw one in a camera shop not so long ago for £30. If I was paying £100 I'd expect the camera to have been serviced and ready to go. Have you thought about a 35RC instead? They're a lot cheaper and plenty more to choose from with only a relatively small sacrifice in specifications. I have an RC that I just keep loaded with b/w film as a take-everywhere camera and the last roll I developed surprised me with consistently good exposure worthy of a much more complex camera. The lens on the RC is excellent up to 10" x 8" enlargements and probably a lot further, though I've never tried.
    Steve

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin