Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,985   Posts: 1,523,959   Online: 886

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

Voigtlander's worn out grip

I'm sure I'm not the only person who has experienced this problem, but I do believe this is the first dedicated tread to find out out to solve it.

I'm using Voigtlander R3M. The rubber grips on both sides of the lenses are begging to melt and fall it. best ways to get it repaired? When will be a good time to do it?

Currently, i'm occassionally finding black gunk rubbing off on my hands. I can still nudge the grip into position; and hope it will stay there.

I would really appreciate having a youtube video seeing how someone elses does it; before I give myself another reason to buy another camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Consider replacing the rubber with leather from Aki-Ashi or Cameraleather.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If Cameraleather has a kit for it, consider their Griptac covering. It really makes a difference in handling. I've used his kits and they are simple to put on.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    You can't really glue it back on once it comes off-- It's sort of press fit on so the bottom part of the rubber sticks out, and rubber cement and similar adhesives don't stick to either the painted metal or the synthetic rubber cover so cameraleather.com it is.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Griptac from Cameraleather will do the trick.
    Akiva S.

Nikkormat FTN, Nikon F, Nikon FE, Leica M3

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero/

My Blog

At the confluence of Black Creek and the Locust Fork of the Warrior River, Alabama
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    i am having this issue, too.

Shooter
    35mm
    I use a half case on my Bessa. Might be something to consider in the future. Let us know how any new leather works out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Griptac is a massive improvement over the stock rubber. Leather will look great too, but you'll lose some of the grip you're used to.

Morgan (Camera Leather) does support the Bessa: http://www.cameraleather.com/bessa/

And here's a look at Griptac: http://www.cameraleather.com/colors/griptac.htm

Beware, though - Morgan has been known to take his time with some orders. I can't say that I've experienced that personally, but I've heard people say they've waited months.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A few names here I recognise from another forum and they all live in hot humid places and are heavier than average camera users. Hong Kong is also hot and humid.
    I've never had such a problem with my Bessas but I know that heat, humidity, sweat from the hands and high usage can cause this sort of a problem with camera covering - especially synthetic leather. There's probably little point in trying to repair the damaged covering - it will all be damaged to some extent by now. Recovering would seem to be the best option and I think the suggestion to use a half case in future is a good one.

Shooter
    Large Format

Griptac on R3M: Review

There aren't any halfcases being made for the voigtlander that I know of. (other than the one supplied from cameraquest when you purchase a new camera)

MY Griptac Review:
    My R3M is back from the tailor (my dinner table) and is looking spiffy in its new suit.

The feel
    The griptac feels great in my hands. (thanks for recommending it). It still feels great eventhough I've lost the thumbrest.
    It does feel noticably slimmer in my hands and it does put a little more strain on my hand when I try to hold it for pro-longed periods of time. Note that I like to hold it by the camera strap, wrapped around my wrist, if i need to hold the camera for a prolonged time.

The look
    From afar, the camera looks great. The grey on black is a nice combination.
    From upclose, the griptac looks extremely synthetic and cheap. From upclose, it looks like a similar plastic was used to make barbie.
    It still feels great in my hands.
    I'll upload pictures sometime in the near future.

The application (My mistakes):
    - I did take off the bottom plate out of curoisity. I didn't break anything.
    - At first, I did use some cleaner that left a crusty residue on my camera that was a lot of trouble to clean off.
    - Too much purell, made it difficult for hte leather to wrap around the camera. Patience to let the purell evaporate and displine not to distrube the ahheasive saved me from ruining the griptac.
    Notes:
    Read everything on their website. I found the vulcunate removal page for the M cameras very useful. I also followed the instruction to apply the griptac using their wet method.
    Be careful when taking the camera apart because I was very curious with all the screws and crevaces underneeth the old grip.

The most annoying part
    The camera itself, isn't flat. So all the crevaces show up and can be felt after you apply the griptac. The griptac will fit ever contour of the camera and will stick to it. If you feel carefully you can feel the gaps left by teh manufracture and the screws under the grip tac.
    Therfore, the Griptac will never be truely flat.
    The orginal grip had allowances that filled the gaps and allowed the hand grip to remain fully flat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin