Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,327   Online: 1011

Shooter
    35mm RF

Just picked up a CL ... looking forward to playing with it

For some reason I've always wanted a CL and saw a nice one on ebay. If you bid high enough you can win anything and I won the camera. I'm looking forward to shooting with this camera, it will be a nice second camera to the Zeiss Ikon I haul all over the place.

-Rob Skeoch
    Rob Skeoch
    This is my blog http://thepicturedesk.blogspot.com/
    This my website for photo supplies...
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com
    This is my website for Rangfinder gear
    www.rangefinderstore.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Congrats. I love the CL. Great ergonomics and VF for such a small camera. A nice BU to the Ikon indeed!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Congrats on getting what I think is one of the nicest cameras out there. I've had mine since about '88 with the Summicron-C 40mm and the 90mm Rokkor lenses. It is about the same size as the SM Leicas, smaller than the M6. When you get it, if it has not had a CLA for say the past 30 years, do yourself a favor and send to Sherry Krauter (sp?) to go through, do any of the production changes and adjust the meter for a modern battery. When done, it will be good for another 30 years. When I got mine the meter was a might jumpy so I sent it to Leica USA and they went through it but at the time, mercury batteries were not outlawed so the adjustment was not done. I've been using a C.H.R.I.S. adaptor and the meter is spot on with my 2 handheld meters.

The 40mm lens is one of the best Leica lenses out there. The lense is worth the admission price of the complete camera. The Minolta Rokkor 90mm is a Leica lens but is supposed to be better than the 90mm Leica for the CL. It came with the kit I bought and I do not know if better, as good not not as good but it is also an excellent lens. The only problem with this paring is the filter size is different so I have 2 sets of filters. Neither size is all that common.

The CL with the 40mm is a nice pocket camera if you have larger pockets. I have the CL shoulder bag that holds the body, 2 lenses and I carry a small flash and a couple of rolls of film. If your camera does not have the case, look for the original soft Leica case or get one of the new cases sold through eBay. The new cases eliminate the one thing some do not care for with the CL, the strap lugs being being on one end and hence the camera is on its side when hanging from your neck. I never found it an issue. However, in that position, the top on many seems to acquire a minor ding on the bottom (as it hangs) edge. Mine has it. Leica USA had new top covers but as I had bought it for everyday use vs being a shelf queen collectible I passed.

The meter is the reverse of I think all other cameras, if the meter dips below mid, the setting will over expose and vice versa. With a little practice with the shutter dial on the top front of the body will show there was a method to its madness and it becomes intuitive to use. The other thing that takes some practice is the use of the meter. It is a spot meter, covering the area about equal to the rangefinder patch. For those not used to a spot meter, expect some bad exposures. When used to using it, you'll wonder why all cameras do not use spot meters.

You'll find possibly a number of Leicaphiles who may disparage the CL as not being a real Leica as it was made by Minolta. Just ignore them as they miss the point that Leica designed the camera and did the quality control in the Minolta factory. Yes, the shutter is a might noisier than the M series but so what. If you want quiet get a Minox subminature. The lenses are Leica design and every bit Leica.

I use mine in almost all types of work from parties to nature photography, still lifes and potraiture. Not quite my main camera, that is a Bronica ETRS but I actually carry it and use it more. Since getting it, I've looked at M bodies as I always want one but each time I end up walking away as in the end, the CL is to me a better thought out camera for real everyday use and the size seems so much more practical. A near perfect camera for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Skeoch View Post
    For some reason I've always wanted a CL ...
    Rob, congratulations, it's a lovely camera, as mentioned if it has stood for a while out of use a CLA would be a good investment. Mine had been out of use and as a result had a sticky shutter, resulting in uneven exposure. Now it is an ideal traveling companion and with it's 40mm lens is a perfect combination.
    Regards
    Charles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Enjoy!!

You deserve it!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Loved mine.. and do miss it, found the rangefinder to be very accurate with 90mm Elmar... BUT the damn shutter dragged below 50 deg F... paid for a service... and told about the secrets of Lieca oil... and still it drug the curtain and ruined photos of my children on a great winter day... traded for a Shen Hao.

The cl lens is it a 40 or 45mm... anyway the best 35mm format lens I have USED... just slightly better than a Nikkor 55mm micro... of cource different rendering that Leica look that some people don't understand... I can spot it a mile off. Nothing wrong with the Nikon look either... perhaps it is just that more Leica negs are printed by more carefull printers than others... Not meaning to start a fight. Just the opinion of my seasoned eye, and I look and seek out photograph collections in EVERY city I visit.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin