Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,545,998   Online: 900

Thread: Vitomatic

Shooter
    35mm

Vitomatic

I'm thinking about one but I can't find too much information on these things...don't seem popular for some reason. Can anyone comment on the useability and how they've aged?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Wonderfull Cameras, and very usable, Rangefinder is one of the easiest I have found, and if you get one then go for the Color Skopar lens, I have a vitomatic and use it a lot, and as far as I know over here they are popular, but hard to find.just make sure the shutter is working, they are over 50 years old and the shutter at tgat age can stick, and don't trust the meter,check with a hand held, other tahn that get one and enjoy the wonderfull results available.
    Richard

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Vitomatic range

The Vitomatic range of cameras are wonderful designs. I have several including the rare IIICS. The Vitomatic IIb is one of the greatest camera designs ever (cuter than a little puppy). However, I would disagree with Richard about the Skopar and suggest one with an Ultron lens. If I had to choose one from the entire range, it would probably be the IIa with an invercone mask for the meter. My judgement is probably swayed by the fact that I prefer the top of camera shutter.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    I would agree about the ultron lens, but they are very few and far between, if you can find one grab it, but there were far more of the Skopar lens, and it is certainly np slouch in terms of performance, although a tessar type lens it performs better than the Tessar, I have several Voightlanders with the Skopar, but none yet with the 6 element ultron, but you never know, maybe one day.
    Richard

Shooter
    Large Format
    Had one, this camera produced some of the best color rendition I have ever seen. Unfortunately the shutter broke as it wasn't worth fixing so another used camera was the way to go.
    Also small enought to fit in a pocket on a good sized coat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree with most of the comments about the Skopar: while a Tessar scheme, many (including myself) consider it to be the best of the Tessars (the only Tessar I liked even better was on a Rolleiflex TLR).

The Ultron is "even" better, especially wide open (had one briefly, but not a 50mm fan).
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I heartily recommend these Vitomatic cameras. Cheap too.
    Very usable. Ultron is waste of money. Skopar is more than adequate. My favorite is IIa. I love the 1:1 rangefinder as my eyesight is not getting any better. Lightmeter is by the way made by Gossen and as selenium cells always is not very accurate at the ends of the scale but I have managed to expose slide films quite adequately.
    An example here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jojjek/...9256/lightbox/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Me too. The ColorScopar is no slouch. I have 3: Vitomatic C, Vitomatic BL and Vitomati II. All three are excellent.
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin