Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,587   Online: 854

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Leica 35 Summicron V2 Problem ?

Hi. As you can see per the attached image, there's something a tad peculiar with my Leica 35 Summicron v2. The dot, in which we align with the aperture ring, is on the side ?!? It should be on the top ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photo on 11-27-11 at 2.08 PM.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In v3 it's in the center, maybe it's offset to allow you to see aperture setting via viewfinder?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Should be centred , every lens I have or had was. Is it working fine otherwise ? Possibly a cla gone bad...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The aperture opens according to the number, so its functional..

I know for sure it was CLAed.. Pretty thorough CLA if you ask me, as the barrel has been repainted, and the numbers have been filled in.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I don't have that version here at the moment, but with many of these the optical assembly (complete with aperture) drops into the focusing mount and is held by a retaining ring. That is the way my earlier 8 element is.

Sometimes you can just rotate the whole unit into position by grabbing the front and turning, but don't force. This direction will tend to tighten the threads in doing that, so I think you are likely to need a spanner to loosen the retaining ring. If it is as I've described (just covering my butt), then it is a very simple adjustment for any repair person.

PLEASE DO NOTE: Not all Leica lenses are the same (though most lenses of this vintage and older do thread together in some way). In later lenses the optical unit is GLUED IN. You don't want to be twisting those!

Added thoughts - It won't hurt anything at all to leave it as is. Someone that uses a tripod may even prefer it that way. This has no impact of focus adjustment since the optical unit is not changing distance, just rotating on its base.
    Last edited by Mark Crabtree; 11-27-2011 at 09:50 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The red dot is used as a guide for mounting the lens. Remove the lens and there should be another red dot on the lens mount.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The red Dot to align the bayonet is on the wrong side. The numbers are reversed also...(maybe the picture is reversed )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I used to have one of those and that is how it is supposed to be. I believe Leica made this one so that the apertures can be viewed through the viewfinder. It probably didn't go over so well because this is the only Leica lens that is made this way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    The red Dot to align the bayonet is on the wrong side. The numbers are reversed also...(maybe the picture is reversed )
    Nah, dem 'nglish camera do the right-left reversal so the cars look like they are on the right side of the road.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Our cars are on the correct side (that is the left side of the road) in Australia! A lot of early cars had the steering wheel on the right I believe. Just to start a fun flame war.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin