Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,230   Online: 1012

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leica M4

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You mentioned it was a black M4 series....could it be the M4-2 or M4-P? I think those are the 2 that were Midland manufactured, not the original M4. If that's the case, even $1250 is dodgey as I've seen those go for much much less (like $400-800 less). If it's an original black paint M4 (not just a black painted chrome one) then yes, you're looking at $1300-$5000 in value based on it's condition. I'd jump on it and sell it and get a couple "normal" Leica M bodies, but if it's the M4-2 or M4-P, I'd bid low ($600) or skip it all together.

Shooter
    35mm
    Well the lot sold for $2,211.00 almost twice what I bid. Thanks everybody, I didn't get the M4 but I got an education.
    Cheers
    Ted

Shooter
    35mm RF
    There was a few "original" M4s done in Canada. Bad luck, if you want one just keep looking. The M4 is great, even in chrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Miskuss View Post
    I have the opportunity to bid on a Leica M4 series. It's black and has Ernst Leitz Canada LTD, Midland Canada markings on it. It looks to be in good shape. Some people tell me that it is rare and it's value could be worth $5000.
    But I have about $1250 to spare in hopes of getting a bargain. It's not ebay so there is no way of knowing if a higher bid has been made. Should I dig deeper? If so what would you pay for one?
    The amount you have to spare is just well enough to get a good bargain on a near mint M6 early release (1986-1987) !! (I got mine for 900euro). Don't bother yourself looking for collectables just seek a well preserved decency instead.. I'd recommend ebay sellers specialized with this kind of gear with good amount of positive feedback and well responsive to questions you may certainly have..

Quote Originally Posted by Rol_Lei Nut View Post
    You can get a chrome M4 in a reputable shop in Germany, complete with a "try out" guarantee, for €650....

While the black paint ones definitely look nice, I would hesitate paying even twice as much for it.

Also, I wouldn't sell all your SLRs: a Leica M is nice, but doesn't do everything. You will probably still need an SLR, at least sometimes.
    I agree with Rol_Lei Nut, don't quit SLR .. mine OM-1n is a good backup and there will always be an opportunity to use it - say film testing, some close-ups shots or a situation (some street unrests or dangerous districts) where exposing your precious Leica is too risky..
    Last edited by hobbes; 12-22-2011 at 12:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    cheers
    Dominik
    http://distantmoon.pl

Shooter
    35mm
    I paid about $750 for a really good chrome one recently - normally they are a little more however

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin