Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,951   Posts: 1,557,923   Online: 969

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leica M4

Shooter
    35mm

Leica M4

I have the opportunity to bid on a Leica M4 series. It's black and has Ernst Leitz Canada LTD, Midland Canada markings on it. It looks to be in good shape. Some people tell me that it is rare and it's value could be worth $5000.
    But I have about $1250 to spare in hopes of getting a bargain. It's not ebay so there is no way of knowing if a higher bid has been made. Should I dig deeper? If so what would you pay for one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    $5000 sounds a little high...unless I'm missing something; I'm no collector.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes black-paint M4 is rare, and collector may not hesitate to pay for it. Although, to me it's still overpriced. IMHO, unless you're a collector and only want to display in rather than using it, better get other ordinary Leica M4s or M2s.

Shooter
    35mm
    I agree 5k is a lot of coin. But this is a "lot" of cameras. The M4 and 2 nikon bodies. An F3 Series and a F2AS which look nice.
    But I'm not interested in the nikons, I have nikons F2, two F3's and a pair of F4's. I wanted a rangefinder that was tough and will last.
    So if I win at $1250, I'll sell off the nikons. Then I can look for a Leica lens, which will most likely be a Voigtlander M mount.
    Thanks for your feedback, appreciate it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can get a chrome M4 in a reputable shop in Germany, complete with a "try out" guarantee, for €650....

While the black paint ones definitely look nice, I would hesitate paying even twice as much for it.

Also, I wouldn't sell all your SLRs: a Leica M is nice, but doesn't do everything. You will probably still need an SLR, at least sometimes.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    The Black Canadian M4s are considered "uncool", or so I have been told when wearing one, so the $5000 figure is very silly

Regarding the "uncoolness" of the M4, don't let it worry you and if it does, cut a red sticker from a Leica catalogue, glue it on and very few people will know the difference - I used a friends very battered black M4 for years and found it worked superbly - Then his M6s started to get sick one by one and I had to return it so he had a dependable camera - Since then he gone digital for magazine work, but has not let me have the battered M4 back - Possibly because I told him he only wore it as costume jewelery while working with digital

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jbaphoto View Post
    cut a red sticker from a Leica catalogue, glue it on and very few people will know the difference
    I put piece of black duct tape to hide red sticker on my M6 - too many of those "...is this a Leica..." question on the street

Shooter
    35mm
    [QUOTE=jbaphoto;1271020]The Black Canadian M4s are considered "uncool", or so I have been told when wearing one, so the $5000 figure is very silly

Fine by me. I'm a Canadian that loves M series Leica's, so no conflict there. If it's a bargain I'd use it, even if it were in KTM orange

But. I have still to win this "lot" fingers crossed

Thx for your input all!

Cheers

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by darkosaric View Post
    I put piece of black duct tape to hide red sticker on my M6 - too many of those "...is this a Leica..." question on the street
    Darko, I saw your post and noticed you're in Warsaw. My mother is from the Warsaw area "Wolomin" and I haven't been there since early 80's, so I looked at your images.
    I really dig your work man. Nice!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Miskuss View Post
    Darko, I saw your post and noticed you're in Warsaw. My mother is from the Warsaw area "Wolomin" and I haven't been there since early 80's, so I looked at your images.
    I really dig your work man. Nice!
    You are too kind to me , thank you, thank you.

btw - Warsaw has changed a lot since 80's - now is much more modern, many new building, sturbucks and other things are common ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin